1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football coaching carousel 2016

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The thing I'd worry about if I were Rhule is how recruiting will go down there. Texas high school coaches got pissy with Charlie Strong because he didn't run their precious spread offense, and God knows how much less pull Baylor already has compared to the almighty Longhorns.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

BREAKING: Oregon hires USF's Willie Taggart as Head Coach. (via @McMurphyESPN)

very interesting.
    I thought for sure it would be Frost or Kiffin.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I guess Chipper really isn't going to leave the Niners to return as the prodigal son. Interesting.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I thought that would have been interesting for him to go back there, but never really thought it would happen. That being said, I don't think he'll be in San Francisco next year either.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Is USF a big enough job to keep Joey Freshwater from heading to Red Stick?

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Another weird hire since I don't think Taggert has any west coast ties.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Has a bunch back from when he was an assistant at Stanford.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, but apparently recruited mostly Texas & Florida when he was there (was largely responsible for Stanford signing Andrew Luck).

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I like the Taggert hire. Program needs a fresh start, staying connected with the past is what got them Helfrich in the first place.

Frost would have been a good choice, but as much as Kiffin is hated on the West Coast and especially in L.A., that didn't make very much sense.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Probably a solid hire for UO but it's not creating any buzz locally. They all thought their facilities, fancy costumes and reputation could get them a big name, instead of being rejected by a guy from Temple and getting a guy who, if he's successful, will use the job as a steppingstone to a better one back east when one opens up.

And I don't see any indicators he can coach defense, which is the biggest problem there, i e nobody plays any. USF gave up 500 yards a game.

The Pac-12 has changed a lot from when he was at Stanford. More teams, Washington is a player again, Wazzu is better. I'm sure he has some West Coast connections still, but Stanford and UO have drastically different recruiting pools.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oregon State receivers coach Brent Brennan to San Jose State. He worked there under McIntyre, coached/developed Markus Wheaton and Brandin Cooks at OSU.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Piss on you, I'm working for Phil Knight!"

Chef2 and MTM like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted