1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football coaching carousel 2016

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you think that's all there is to it, you haven't watched much Alabama football.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sure I have. He's calling plays that exploit talent advantages at every position. Just like he did at USC as co-OC.

He is college football's version of a trust fund baby and he will never have any success of his own merit.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well ... doesn't he at least get some credit for not fucking up what he's been given?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eh, some. Not enough to think he can run a program though, particularly when he doesn't have the physical advantages everywhere. Alabama struggles from time to time too, does he get blame for that?

We all laughed at batty old Al Davis with the projector in 2008, but he had that guy fucking nailed.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'll note that I'm not so sure he should get any credit for "not fucking up" at Alabama. Saban seems to be pretty good at keeping people beneath him on the straight-and-narrow.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don't know if Kiffin has what it takes to be a successful head coach long term, and I really don't want to find out with him in Tuscaloosa. But to think he hasn't been coaching his ass off the last few years is ludicrous. He's on the verge of a third consecutive playoff bid with his third different quarterback, none of whom were or are NFL caliber. (Hurts may be someday but he is painfully raw). He's changed up his play calling to fit the talent on hand each year, and he has stayed solidly in place even with a boss who hasn't been afraid to quietly run off coordinators (Major Applewhite, Doug Nussmeier) that were getting decent but not great results.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He's developed a true freshman into a winning quarterback despite facing some of the top defenses in the country. He deserves some credit for that.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

By the way, Fresno State plays at Alabama next September.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And at Washington the next weekend. All after the home opener with Incarnate Word.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Much to my embarrassment, I've said over the years around here that Kiffin's UT squad was very well coached. I stand by that statement. Even if he is a sonuvabitch.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Lincoln Riley (OC at Oklahoma) will be a head coach this time next year.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Chef2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted