1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football coaching carousel 2016

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I've thought that. I could see him at USC before Texas though.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that UT has a room large enough to hold the egos of both Red McCombs and Chip Kelly.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Chip Kelly wouldn't put up with the shit head coaches have to deal with at Texas.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

They had to enlarge the VIP arch at Memorial Stadium to get Red's noggin in.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

By that, you mean black players?

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Perhaps. But I think Texas might throw more cash than anyone for their next coach. They can't afford to keep losing ground to Texas A&M, much less Baylor, TCU and now Houston.

7. Armchair_QB

White boosters.

Chef2 likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Texas has the kind of big booster problem that Alabama used to have. Guys who give big bucks, gain some insider status, and accumulate as head coaches come and go. Over time you wind up with a collection of entitled guys who think they swing a big dick around the program.

Saban came in and looked around, decided who legitimately needed to be close or was worth cultivating, and took a weed whacker to everyone else. All these guys who had become accustomed to hanging around close, having access, having something to say whether they knew anything or not, they suddenly found themselves outside the fence looking in.

Texas needs a guy with a big enough set to do that, but the problem there is bigger and more intractable. I'm not sure they can hire a coach with enough credibility to back down their big boosters, unless he comes in and kicks ass from the jump and builds some local backing. The biggest of their boosters are the equivalent of banks too big to fail, you can't do much with them no matter how bad they get.

Alma and LongTimeListener like this.
  9. Armchair_QB

You pretty much nailed it.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

McCombs. There's a blast from my past.

The man too cheap to pay for a real head coach from 2001-05 and instead let Mike Tice coach the Vikings while Randy Moss was in his prime has this much influence over an athletics program with the deepest pockets.

11. Neutral Corner

He's 89 now. I don't know how active he is anymore, he was just the name that popped up in my head. Lord knows he has a ton of pull.

He couldn't/didn't stop the Charlie Strong hire, which is going to make his "I told you so" harder to deal with now.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Fresno State calls newser for noon PDT. Suspect Tim DeReuyter is toast, with local legend Jeff Tedford coming in.

Draft saved Draft deleted