1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football coaches pay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Nov 10, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

USA Today came out with their annual list and argument that coaches are paid too much.
    Kind of makes me ask the questions, are too many fans attending games, paying too much for tickets and are schools taking in too much TV money?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-11-09-coaches-salary-analysis_N.htm

I find it interesting because I read a story recently about schools ADDING football to attract male students which make up a diminishing percentage at most colleges.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Carroll and Meyer are exhibits A and B why they would probably never go back to the NFL.

Pete making 4.4 mil a year. Urban making 4 mil a year.

No way does either one of them jump to the pros.

I don't think if you paid them 10 million a year, they would go.

3. Meyer would. Ego's too big.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A good college gig is better than a good pro gig. But a bad college gig is worse than a bad pro gig. You have to take games you have no chance in winning just to pay the bills for the program and then get hammered for losing too much. At least in the pros you have fairer scheduling and revenue sharing.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Not to mention that you can win a championship if you don't lose a game

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Only seven coaches in non-big 6 conferences over $1 mil:
    Chris Peterson 1.12 mil
    Gary Patterson 1.8 mil
    Skip Holtz 1.38 mil
    George O'Leary 1.31 mil
    Kyle Wittingham 1.2 mil
    June Jones 1.2 mil
    Greg McMackin 1.13 mil

Want to curb coaches salaries? Do away with the BCS and institute widespread revenue sharing and a playoff system in college football.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

When Patterson leaves after this year, depending on where he goes, he could double that.

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

how the hell is skip holtz making that type of jack at East Carolina?

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

NFL coaches don't have to kiss the ass of a 17 year old kid or a 70 year old booster at shitty golf tournaments to make 4.4 million.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nope, they have to kiss asses of $10 million quarterbacks and $8 million defensive ends instead.

I wouldn't have a problem with the 'free market' of coaches salaries if athletes had that same 'free market'. Instead, they're limited to scholarships to take classes that don't coincide with practice and games.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

ND after it fires Charlie Weiss?

Draft saved Draft deleted