1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football: bulletproof

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Where did I say that?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think doing either/or both would be a good way to go. I understand why it won't happen, even though it should.

3. Mizzougrad96

I am under the impression that the NCAA is not officially investigating Auburn.

Will that change? I don't know, but I think the way it was handled last year was a complete joke.

I understand being innocent until proven guilty, but the NCAA should have the resources available to investigate a scandal that happens during the season rather than wait for five years before doing anything about it.

So let's say the NCAA drops sanctions on Auburn in five years and they resemble what happened to USC. Every player from that team will be gone. There's about a 90 percent chance the coach will be gone. Even if they strip the national title, everybody knows the school won one and if I'm not mistaken, the AP title isn't taken away.

So what good are they doing? What incentive is there not to cheat?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Cecil Newton, Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer got a chance to speak with him:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/30/2420296/cecil-newton-scandal-doesnt-define.html

I'm reading a lot of non-answers here ... but how much of that is Cecil hoping the issue will be swept under the rug and how much of this is because the investigation is still ongoing? And will the FBI eventually take a look?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Auburn is very much under investigation.

6. Mizzougrad96

Good to hear.

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

This is the quote that jumps off the page and into orbit:

Asked whether he solicited money from Auburn, Newton said: “According to what the NCAA findings are, that’s what we’re going with.”

Are you kidding me? :eek:

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And have been, only forever, for all the obvious reasons.

10. Mizzougrad96

I hope the investigation doesn't take as long as USC's did. I hope the sanctions that come down are every bit as harsh (or worse) than what happened to USC.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If Auburn is guilty and is subsequently punished, the NCAA cannot be afraid to strip a program of a national title. I believe the sports factories within the NCAA feel that sanctions are well worth a title, and part of that line of thinking goes back to the NCAA allowing the program to retain the titles.

Until the NCAA is willing to be more punitive, the cheating will not stop - or even slow down, for that matter.

armegeddon, I saw that Cecil Newton quote, too. Hmmmm ...

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The NCAA strips teams of national titles all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted