1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football: bulletproof

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 3, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But does that mean you won't watch the next one?

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Symbolized by that horseshit excuse for a football game between Auburn and Oregon. They played like the two worst teams in the MAC as opposed to the two best teams in the nation.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not necessarily next year, but eventually.

Athletes know that there's money out there. And they're tired of seeing coaches get rewarded with bigger and better contracts while they're just receiving scholarships for an education that they can only receive as long as it doesn't interfere with practice.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Of course not... I do stop watching and caring as soon as the conference championship games are over. All of the bowl games except one have been rendered so meaningless that I refuse to invest the time in watching them that I used to.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Following that logic all the bowl games but two or three were meaningless each in the 80 years or so before the BCS was launched.

6. Mizzougrad96

You know... It didn't feel that way... I remember the year Oklahoma beat Penn State for the title where there were about four games on the same day that impacted who would win the title. The lesser Jan. 1 games seemed like opening acts for the big games played later in the day. It doesn't feel like that anymore.

7. Actually, yeah. I don't see the point in spending my time following a sport where you are no closer to figuring out the national champion at the end of the season then where you were at the beginning. The lone exception to this is if I have to watch for my job, such as if a game is running long and I have to write a paragraph on it because AP can't get us something in time for our deadline. But on my own time outside the office, I have watched zero college football games in the last two years. This year, I plan to watch one: the I-AA national championship game. That's the only game that is televised and means something.

8. Mizzougrad96

Has there been a decent title game since Texas-USC?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know what you're talking about. That game never happened.

10. Mizzougrad96

That's funny... I was rooting for USC as well.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

LTL, in the Herald newsroom when I worked there, there was a big poster of a newspaper front page on a newsside guy's cubicle. The second biggest story on the front page was a huge college football academic cheating scandal, with about 15 big-time powers cited. It was only the second biggest story because The Crash of 1929 took top billing. College football has always violated its own rules and always will. Nobody really cares and never will. Really, drop the sport and watch something else if it bothers you.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Auburn-Oregon wasn't well-played, but it was close. It was decided on a field goal on the last play of the game.

Bama-Texas was 24-21 late. Bama scored 2 TDs in the last 2:01.

Florida-Oklahoma was 14-14 in the fourth quarter, then Tebow started making everyone's life better.

So other than the last three, the answer to your question is "no."

Draft saved Draft deleted