1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowls/playoff thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, we've had No. 1 vs. No. 2 locked in since 1998, so it's hard to get a true David vs. Goliath championship game matchup now.
    Would the 2005 Texas-USC game qualify? Texas was great, but the perception of that USC team was that it was one of the best ever.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Pretty much. Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State - those are probably the top teams in NYC. That's why Rutgers is in the Big Ten. Maybe Notre Dame.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Bama has the Heisman, Doak Walker, Rimington, and Outland trophy winners. Add two other Heisman finalists, including a QB who completed 76%, 27 TDs and 3 Ints.

Then start the OSU list. It's ridiculous.

It's also why the NCAA Football Tournament sucks.

goalmouth likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

That was a great Miami team
    I covered that game
    My main story was on Jim Burt, who was from St Pete and went on to the Giants
    Great guy
    I had my story written with six minutes to go and Miami up by two touchdowns, and might have been the happiest guy in the O Bowl when the pass was dropped on the two-point try because I avoided a total rewrite

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When I was a pup in Charleston, SC, we had a sports editor cover an Orange Bowl that, naturally, was pushing our deadlines.

He calls in, says, "It's 11:45 here. What time is it there?"

Uh, we're both on the Atlantic Ocean.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Trying to remember the entire timeline, but I was in school for the first years of the old Big East, before Tech, Miami and BC splintered off. Temple was so bad that they were booted out of the league and forced into exile in the MAC for a bit. Rutgers always sucked. The only reason Virginia Tech even got into the Big East full time (talk about a weird fit) was because it carried the league in football in the mid-90s while Miami floundered. Tech's long-term goal was always to end up in the ACC, and I don't blame them for jumping when the opportunity presented itself because the Big East was a bad all-sports fit. The only "regional" rivals were Georgetown and West Virginia, and good luck trying to convince anyone in Hoya land to give a crap about the Hokies.

Did anyone win the Lambert Trophy this year?

Final thought on last night: I had it on a small TV while I was watching the Tiger doc on HBO Max. Smith was great. Didn't care otherwise and didn't even try to stay up until the end. Whoever said no buzz about the game was correct. Not to steal a line from Trump, but the whole season was rigged to get two blue bloods in a Monday night TV show on Jan. 11. Completely uninterested. No doubt Alabama was the best team and would have been had the season played out normally. But still, this entire season was an exercise in bullshit.

8. BTExpress

I'm 59. I seriously expect to live to 90+. My team hasn't beaten Alabama since I was 45.

I don't expect to ever see a victory again.

9. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

This seems really responsible

10. BTExpress

How can you get that excited about something that happens basically every other year?

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If only had the chance to tell you...I'd gladly do it in a very high voice, if you know what I mean?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Given how many top players bail/ leave early - would it benefit college football if they reduced the scholarship limit to say 70? Would that help even it out a bit? Limit the number of players from outside your conference's "footprint?" I have to think even keeping Columbus, Clemson and Tuscaloosa interested in the sport outside of three or four Saturdays a year might be tough the way this is going.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted