1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Bowl Season 2018-19

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RubberSoul1979, Dec 14, 2018.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

As a fringe SEC member fan (Mizzou, don't shoot), I really thought the Tide defense would expose Lawrence to be the freshman he is. But, damn, that 'Bama defense looked lost against Climpson. If last night is any indication, the kid's going to have a long, successful NFL career.

Add that to the way the Clemson defense exposed Tua, and it turned into a rout. It's kind of amazing to me how the Tigers gave up chunks on the ground between the 20s but held when the Tide was inside the 10-yard-line. Most of that was just great defense, but part of it has to be placed on the unimaginative, know-what's-coming Tide play-calling in those situations.

2. swingline

I don't know how Alabama does it, but at the school I previously worked at, kids from the surrounding states get in-state tuition. For all other students and internationals, it's the non-resident rate. And if a kid is committed to that school, it only takes one year of living there to establish residency and get the in-state rate.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They do have a deal where if your in-state school doesn't offer your proposed major, you don't pay out-of-state tuition. That's how they got a lot of kids from New Orleans and Atlanta over the years.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Clemson's 2019 schedule:
    Home: Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, Charlotte, Wofford, Boston College, Florida State, Wake Forest
    Away: South Carolina, Louisville, N.C. State, UNC, Syracuse

I don't see a loss there. The only one that reasonably looks like it will be close will be at Syracuse.

5. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

I’m not debating that Bama profits nicely from having so many OOS students, but I will add that it’s very easy for OOS students to get significant tuition breaks via “academic merit” scholarships. My kid, for example, was offered enough “merit” aid that it would’ve been cheaper to send her there than any of our in-state schools (she ended up taking a scholarship from another OOS school). Her GPA was pretty decent but not outstanding (3.9 weighted) and her standardized test scores were the same (1250-ish SAT, 26 ACT).

Alabama does a good job of selling the big-time football experience. My kid, however, had no clue they even had a team, and when she toured campus (incredibly beautiful, by the way) she was turned off by the football myopia.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Why Cuse and not the Paick? They're both on the road and both replacing stud QBs.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fair point.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Of course, if we're being honest here, we're talking about maybe a 10 percent chance of an upset in each game.

9. swingline

My girls are aware of sports — as in, Daddy watches a lot of sports — but that sure as hell won't be a determining factor when they pick a college. My oldest doesn't give a rat's ass about sports, and I haven't been able to indoctrinate my youngest one.

exmediahack and RecoveringDesker like this.
  10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

So people ... who live in other places. .... actually CHOOSE to move to the inland parts of Alabama?????

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Look at the test scores/GPA to get into Wisconsin before and after 1993. Like turning Iowa into Michigan.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Depends on the test scores, too. A 32 ACT gets an out-of-state student FREE tuition at Alabama.

Draft saved Draft deleted