1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Bowl Season 2018-19

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RubberSoul1979, Dec 14, 2018.

1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

The binge begins this weekend. All times Eastern and all point spreads are courtesy of Vegas Insider.

Saturday
    Cure Bowl: Tulane (-3.5) vs. UL-Lafayette, 1:30 p.m., CBSSN
    New Mexico Bowl: Utah State (-7.5) vs. North Texas, 2 p.m., ESPN
    Las Vegas Bowl: No. 21 Fresno State (-6) vs. Arizona State, 3:30 p.m., ABC
    Camellia Bowl: Georgia Southern (-3) vs. Eastern Michigan, 5:30 p.m, ESPN
    New Orleans Bowl: Appalachian State (-7) vs. Middle Tennessee, 9 p.m.,ESPN

For the record...
    2018: 39 bowls, six featuring a Power 5 vs. Group of 5 matchup
    1992: 18 bowls, four involving today's Group of 5 and Power 5

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

1972: 11 bowls

Sugar: No. 2 Oklahoma-No. 5 Penn State
    Cotton: No. 7 Texas-No. 4 Alabama
    Rose: No. 1 USC-No. 3 Ohio State
    Orange: No. 9 Nebraska-No. 12 Notre Dame

No. 10 LSU faced off against No. 11 Tennessee in the Astro-Bluebonnet.

1952: five bowls, but three of the top four ranked teams didn't participate

No. 1 Michigan State was ineligible to play in the Rose because it was still classified as an independent, pending expansion of the Big Nine. No. 3 Notre Dame didn't make postseason appearances and No. 4 Oklahoma turned down the Orange Bowl.

So SEC rivals Georgia Tech and Mississippi played in the Sugar, Tennessee took on Texas in the Cotton, Alabama faced Syracuse in the Orange and Florida beat Tulsa in the Gator. The only non-SEC game was USC-Wisconsin.

The SEC has been rigging this thing for decades.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I wish I could make myself care about any of these games.

Aw, who am I kidding? No I don't.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Football is like sex and pizza. Even when it's bad, it's still football. A month from now we'll be facing a seven-month desert without it, so enjoy it while it lasts. Even the shitty games.

amraeder likes this.
  5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I haven’t lived within a thousand miles of my family for a dozen years. We talk often, but it’s always a “catching up” thing. Not a lot of shared experiences.

So my dad’s company had a bowl pool going, and he added my brother and I to the group. The guy running it had good intentions, but didn’t have it all together. The winner found out eventually, maybe; that kind of thing.

The next year I throw all the picks into a spreadsheet, figure out some excel functions, and make a daily update with an email that highlights key upcoming games for each person. People reply with snark or jokes, and so on and so on. This goes on for about a decade.

My dad retired this year, so he’s out of the company pool. But now it’s a tradition, so we put together one just among family. Cousins, neices, nephews, whoever.

I know people complain about the number of bowls, but personally I want as many bowls as possible.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm spending $20 on a bowl pool so I DO care about these games. And yet I know that there will be a few teams I picked that announce TOMORROW that various starters won't play for disciplinary reasons, they don't want to get hurt or whatever.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bahamas Bowl Update:

FIU running back Shawndarrius Phillips was arrested earlier this week on a domestic battery charge, nearly four months after a warrant was issued for his arrest.

According to the probable cause affidavit, Phillips' ex-girlfriend called the Broward County (Florida) Sheriff's Office in June and accused him of choking her after they got into a dispute. She says Phillips kept his grip on her neck and squeezed as he put her on a couch before releasing her. She says Phillips told her, "If you don't leave, I'm going to break your jaw."

A Broward County judge issued an arrest warrant Aug. 24 for Phillips on a charge of felony domestic battery by strangulation. But Phillips was not arrested until Wednesday, when he turned himself in at a BSO district office. He played the entire football season for FIU and started five games.

SHAWNDARRIUS? WTF kind of name is that

tFIU's Phillips played all season despite warrant

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

So Arizona State gets the wooden spoon as the P5 relegated to bowl opening Saturday. Guess 3 extra weeks of practice make it all worth it.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Vegas doesn't need to fill hotel rooms over the New Year's weekend.

I hope the Pac-12 finds a way to raise the profile of this bowl significantly when the new stadium opens. The league's No. 2 team should go to Vegas, instead of friggin San Antonio, where it is always the visiting team against a Big-12 opponent.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Not a bowl game but damn if I didn't get a lot of entertainment watching North Dakota State play tonight. Their offensive line gets after it.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's common to hear people refer to NDSU as "the Alabama of FCS." Truth is, they are more successful at their level than Alabama is in FBS. And they actually play OOC power 5 teams on the road! :)

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

College Football has some great names
    (here is a link to an SI article) Redirect Notice

Draft saved Draft deleted