1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football access

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hammer Pants, Apr 10, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not really dealing with access, but I remember a story about George O'Leary yelling at Georgia Tech's SID staff to get the traffic helicopters (they weren't even black!) away from his practice field, which sits 1 1/2 blocks from I-75/85 in Atlanta. Like they were spying on his workouts.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Because in most cases the conference office (and commissioner) serve at the pleasure of the conference's presidents. It's more like the baseball commissioner's office in terms of power (or lack of same). Also, the conference has to have bylaws/rules passed for fines to occur and that ain't happening unless all the schools agree.
    The schools in the big conferences are too busy counting their bowl money to give a rip about the media.

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Blowing off the media is nothing new to Saban. Remember, he turned down an invite from Bush to have dinner with him during a trip to Miami, I think it was. How absurd is that? I don't care what your politics are, when the U.S. President invites you to go out and eat, you go.

Saban takes workaholism to the extreme. The only thing between him and a Fred Akers- or Earle Bruce-type career----good W-L----is that one national title at LSU.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

1/2 of a national title.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Until USC loses their half w/ the Bush shit.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Then it's 1/2 LSU. 1/2 vacant

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I don't think the AP strips teams of the mythical national title it awards. Only the NCAA can do that and the NCAA has nothing to do with AP's national championship.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Since it's never come up, we don't know.
    But I would think that if USC is guilty of violations in that time and the NCAA strips it of wins, AP will follow suit.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

AP hasn't done that in the past. And considering that it doesn't prohibit schools on major probation from being considered for the Top 25 like USA Today does I can't see AP stripping USC of anything.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Some creative counting going on on this thread. This is why that warning -- Caution: journalist doing math! -- is so crucial.

LSU won the BCS national championship in 2003.
    USC won the AP national championship in 2003.
    Neither entity awarded fractions of a championship.

Also, the NCAA awards no football national championship in its highest subdivision, so I am not sure it has any jurisdiction over USC's BCS title in 2004.

And yes, I know some of you just wanted to flush me out ...well done! You succeeded.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A half-title for LSU's half-ass coach. You gotta problem with that?

Draft saved Draft deleted