1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 9/16

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Colorado was losing 21-3 with 8 seconds left in the game and had a 4th down. Hawkins elected to punt and the clock ran out while ASU was returning the kick. I understand that there isn't an 18 point play but at least try and run an offensive play.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Schedule ACC teams like mine did... you'll enjoy the feeling on Sunday morning...

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Who do they play between now and then? Nobody of significance until West Virginia 11/2, and Brohm could be back by then.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I just posted about this game on the other thread. FSU's offense was uncoordinated, and the pressure of carrying the team caused the defense to crack. Jeff Bowden has to go. Now.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If there were only a way teams were made to hold open a game until, say, one year beforehand. Then have a Big Ten/ACC Challenge type deal where you try to match the teams up somewhat evenly. Of course, too much money out there, so it won't happen.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

*removing foot from mouth* You, sir, are correct.

OSU
    Auburn
    Michigan
    USC
    WVa

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OC Chris Petersen stayed in Boise to become BSU's head coach. There's your smoking gun.

You go to bed at night and there's no snow on the ground. You wake up and there's a foot of snow. You didn't see it snow. But I think you can safely assume it did, right? Isn't that conclusive evidence?

That pass was a perfect spiral until it reaches No. 99. Then it's perfectly obvious, from numerous angles, that something deflected it because the ball starts wobbling from side-to-side like a doomed airplane. That negates any possibility of interference.

I'm no Sooner loooser fanboy. Watch the video of that onsides kick, there's plenty of it out there, the one I linked and this one http://media.putfile.com/Ch9-view-from-behind.

Nevermind that the ball is clearly touched by an Oregon player at about 8-9 yards before the scramble starts. which is illegal right there.

Then watch. No one has control of the ball, there's not an official within 10 feet of the pile, the football squirts out of the pile and an Oklahoma player picks it up before the officials have even started to unpile the players. But somehow Oregon is awarded possession.

Oklahoma got jobbed.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not disputing what you're saying. My point is none of the review angles constitute "indisputible video evidence". Yeah, they probably should have been overturned but that's not the issue. The officials should have gotten the calls right in the first place.

As I said, the OU-UO game is a great example as to why there shouldn't be instant replay in college football.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

(head shaking) I know the mountain air can have an effect on the brain. It'll be OK. Really.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The video evidence I saw was pretty indisputable. Oklahoma got reamed.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I would be inclined to agree with you had it reversed a good call, but it didn't. All instant replay did in that game was allow two bad calls made on the field to stand -- or to be more precise, the officials in the replay booth allowed two bad calls made by officials on the field to stand. An argument for making instant replay work better through better upstairs officiating, yes. An argument for reprimanding the upstairs officials for not seeing something that obvious, yes. But since instant replay didn't make the situation any worse, then I don't blame it.

Or put another way: were there not instant replay in that game, not only would Oklahoma still have been jobbed, they'd have literally no chance for a reversal. That's not a better solution.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Not a Sooner fan in any fashion, but they got assholed bigtime.

Anyone got a pic of the USC player, and his Jason Kendall-like injury?

pm if you'd like to.

Draft saved Draft deleted