1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2020 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 1, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I noticed that one, and while it may seem silly, it makes sense. It gives parents of non-rev team athletes the chance to see their kids without having to go to the game.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That’s a double problem: Do you quarantine visiting teams? Do you quarantine the Rainbow Warriors after they play a road game?

MileHigh likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

NCAA cancels Division III fall sports championships and will not sponsor championships in the spring for any fall sports.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Classic attack the messenger. They've been severely lax -- and several players called them out on it.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. tapintoamerica

Money well spent if it keeps everybody on campus throughout the semester.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Lots of campuses are doing this ... trying to provide a place for COVID-positive kids living on campus to stay so (in theory) they don't infect the rest of their dorm.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know Ole Miss was doing it earlier this summer for returning athletes that tested positive. Sounded like a pretty sweet deal for a couple of weeks, except for the part about having a potentially lethal virus in your body.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I realize TV contracts and such, but I have a hard time thinking the G5 schools will be in a better situation without the non-conference games. I'd love to find out how it actually pencils out financially. Not having to fund the other fall sports helps I guess. But I think most football programs will be lucky to just break even for themselves playing this fall in empty stadiums. Guess it is the idea that you keep the heart pumping by whatever means necessary to buy time. I do think we could be looking at a significant cut in athletic scholarships across the board in the coming months.

maumann likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Stating the obvious:

“We all know where it’s going to end,” said a high-ranking athletic department official. “It’s a game of hot potato, and we’re all passing it around. We’re all so terrified [at the conference level] of being first and alone and 17 players go into the portal the next day. It’s sad and pathetic, but it represents the reality of where people are.”

No moves are considered imminent. But the industry speculation revolves around which major league will be first to pull the plug. The Big Ten or the Pac-12 are favorites. They’d likely arrive at a decision in the upcoming weeks. How the dominoes fall from there would be compelling, as there’s still a chance that the dire needs for revenue and the cultural importance of football could nudge leagues to forge ahead until players vocalize enough concerns or the liability unnerves administrators.​

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted