1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2020 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 1, 2020.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

This is exactly where I'm at. Seems like everybody is wailing about how much we all NEED sports and would do anything for life to get back to normal. I'm in that boat, too.

But ... when it was time to make sacrifices and do things to help ensure that sports and normal came back ASAP, how many people truly quarantined, masked up when the health experts pleaded for everyone to do so, and stayed away from crowded restaurants, bars and gatherings when there was limited re-opening?

Sorry, (the collective) we are getting exactly what we fucking deserve. We made the bed, now lay in it.

FileNotFound and maumann like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Actually, I have, so STFU. It was painful and unpleasant and I never want to be there again - but it didn't kill me or leave me on dialysis.

I did that too.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

When you're sitting in an ICU room with your wife on a ventilator and the doctor comes in and says, "The best news today is that she's not any worse," that's another moment when you realize you don't have any control over normal. You implicitly trust the medical professionals to do everything they can, and it will either work out or it won't.

She made it three years ago. However, we have no interest in rolling the dice a second time, especially when this is so randomly, recklessly lethal.

I learned to be patient twice in the past four years. If it means waking up tomorrow next to her and the next day, I'll sit here and dream about (edit to fit the topic: college football) all day long.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Round of applause. It didn't kill you. Consider yourself lucky.

No one here is wailing about needing sports for live to get back to normal. I'd just personally like to not see more people in my general profession lose jobs or have to choose between living and working. If that makes me a bad person so be it. I can deal with that.

Whether sports is here or not those cavalier attitudes about this virus aren't going to change. If you didn't decide to quarantine and conduct life cautiously already then losing the Alabama-LSU game isn't going to change your mind. None of those assholes that packed the bars around Memorial Day would've stayed home had they known that going out meant Virginia Tech was going to cancel their home opener.

This probably isn't going to get better any time soon. Not in 6 months, probably not in 16 months. It's not like we're guaranteed that if they push things back to the spring everything is going to get better because people will have gotten the message. They don't care now and they won't care six months from now. I live in Florida where the President is also the de-facto Governor and trust me...they don't care about sports or teachers or kids.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I don't see anything in current contracts that allow any more than 4 teams in the CFP. Now it might be 8 de facto, in that the 2 division winners / finalsists in the top 4 conferences might have a shot by winning their conference championship games.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Story in the Ann Arbor News today. Twitter headline: Key to safe reopening of campuses is students' willingness to avoid parties. So forget college football. Also college. I remember 19-year old me -- increasingly dimly I admit. I don't think I'd have been of much willpower regarding parties.

7. Neutral Corner

I seriously doubt that there will be conference championship games. Why would a conference want to hang an extra loss on one of their top two teams? This season is a whole new world.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Everybody? No.

Virtually nobody on this board. Or in the media.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

WANT? Absolutely.

NEED? No, and I get it.

I dunno. I 100 percent get the fact that jobs/professions/etc., are on the line. And what we know about this virus (seemingly) is that being inside for long stretches of time is a bad, bad idea. So therefore, in-person education -- high school or college -- is bad news bears. I want everything to get back to normal as much as everyone, but fuck, we can't put students, teachers/professors/administrators at risk. If you sit there and say, well, only two people may die out of xxxxxx, you're an asshole. It's not worth it. One of my best friends is a teacher and he is not happy with the thought of going back. He has a young boy, and the idea of catching anything -- even if it's a hoax dur dur you stupid libs -- and bringing it home is terrifying.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There isn't going to be a season.

11. Neutral Corner

That wouldn't surprise me a bit. It's one thing for pro athletes to decide that X million dollars is enough to risk their health for. It's quite another to ask it of a scholarship athlete. If he refuses, are they going to pull his scholly? That would be an awfully bad look. And once again, look at how much the numbers have changed in the last month. There is no way to know how bad things will be by early September, but I wouldn't put a dime on things getting better in time for that.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    maumann and PCLoadLetter like this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Even though The Sports Media depends on sports for likelihood of continued employment, they are not morally obligated to follow your lead and pretend that all is well when it clearly is not. The job is to tell the truth as best it can be ascertained.

Draft saved Draft deleted