1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2020 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 1, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

They do indeed look similar to USC. Both look like most of their clases — but not all — will be online or hybrid. Few in-person only. So they’re not in an exclusively online-only mode. The Cal State System is the online-only deal. I had missed the UC System announcement.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Also, tap, I saw a statement from the University of Arizona's president a day or two ago that, if COVID outbreaks continue like they are in his state, there's "no way" they'll have in-person classes in Tucson.

At some point soon, a Power Five conference will dial back fall football ... maybe just the nonconference games to start. The Pac-12 would be a good bet.

maumann likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

Saw that one.
    It's simply not feasible. Never has been.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Who gets to tell Dabo?

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'm a man! I'm 40! I'm a million bucks poorer!

7. tapintoamerica

Before this agreement, if they had whacked him at the end of 2020, he would have received $19.68 million. (I think.) Now, whacking him this year costs them $10 million. That’s a big difference.
    That’s one expensive t-shirt.

maumann likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

Interesting thing from The Athletic. They clearly had no interest in finding out whether Gundy used the n-word three decades ago.

Holder said former Colorado player Alfred Williams was not contacted during the course of their investigation. The College Football Hall of Famer has alleged that Gundy twice called him a racist slur during Colorado’s 41-17 win against Oklahoma State in 1989 when Gundy was the team’s senior quarterback. Williams has said he’s still seeking an apology from Gundy and has “at least 20 people” who corroborate his claim. Holder said he didn’t feel they needed to look into that matter.

“That was 31 years ago,” Holder said. “That was resolved at that time. I think everyone’s moved forward since then. … I mean, once you start doing that, where else are you gonna go? I don’t know. I don’t know that there’s necessarily a good answer for it. I just didn’t feel the need to do that. I read the news account at the time. Mike Gundy addressed it, denied it and moved on.”

So you can make the argument that says, "Hey. It's a long time ago. We can't hold everybody accountable for everything they've ever said." That's not an absurd argument.
    But in this case, you have to try to figure it out -- if for no reason than to see if your coach is a liar. Ask Gundy about it. If he maintains his denial, reach out to Alfred Williams and others. If you find 10 people who were there and heard it and say he said it and Gundy is still maintaining he didn't say it, then you know he has lied to you in 2020.
    Isn't that worth finding out?
    Not to Oklahoma State. They don't want to know.
    It was not "resolved at the time." Gundy said he didn't say it; Colorado players said he said it. Is that resolution?

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Lightening the mood a little bit:

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Texas State Fair cancelled. But not OU-TX...or Grambling-Prairie View...

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not yet. Expect the Ivy League tomorrow to start the dominoes falling.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Did they not announce moving to the spring yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted