1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2020 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 1, 2020.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Can’t wait for the next ball washing piece by Dennis Dodd on Dabo now.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That would put The Mullet of the Plains in an interesting spot.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So not the football workouts...but the night club.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Of course not. And at Clemson the positive tests were caused by attending rallies. And I can promise you where ever it breaks out next in Division One football it will not be caused by actual football workouts. In Division One football there are enough resources to test and isolate players. Given the importance that is attached to Division One football I think the schools will bull through.

But I think that high schools and non FBS colleges should go ahead and cancel their football seasons.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Both? Some get infected in a bar and spread to teammates in the facility.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

High school football will be a state-by-state situation. Talking with someone high up in our officials association today, he said it would be up to the governor. Our governor has been pushing ahead -- smartly, IMHO -- with reopening. I think he will give the OK for fall sports, but that ultimately, it will come down to each individual district.

What might be good in Bennett might not be good in Boulder. But the state association most certainly has been feeling the heat from parents to reopen sports at the high school level.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think the problem with local solutions is that most schools play in leagues comprised of more than one district. So if a small town district like Bennett, with only one high school, is hell-bent to play football but the districts around it don't want to then what do you do?

And if lots more college teams have COVID-19 outbreaks will high school parents start to withhold their kids. I thought a lot of the schools in Colorado were already having problems coming up with enough bodies for football. Will schools be able to field teams.

I know if my parent(s) and my sons had lived together or even visited regularly that I would want my kid playing football and risk exposing my parents.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. My brother is an athletic director in California. He's facing the same thing. His school has a non-conference game against a school in a district that is opening per usual. His school is not. So if that happens, the district opening on time needs to scramble to find an opponent.

Smaller schools in Colorado play in leagues with more than one district. Most of those in metro Denver do not.

A couple of weeks ago, the commissioner for the state association got significant blowback from parents for her meh approach to reopening things to the point she had to retract and say they are working to reopening. For Colorado, it was pretty surprising.

Again, been saying for a couple of months, we're not going to have a normal high school football season here -- if one at all.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

My question is this: If you send these 18-to-22-year-olds home for the year - or, better, cancel the season but require them to stay on campus and keep taking classes - what kind of odds do you give that they're not going to go to parties and night clubs and restaurants and buddies' houses and the like?

The only incentive you give the players to do anything as safely as possible is if it preserves the season to do so.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted