1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2020 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 1, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Those dominos being picked up.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Over/under on the number of days without an NCAA rules violation?

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

And where are they going to get the $ to do the rapid testing?

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

UALR is definitely a commuter school, and it's struggling. I have friends who left the athletic department a year ago, making what seemed like a lateral career move, because the university is struggling with declining enrollment. Administration created a policy a few years ago that required freshmen to live on campus, which is a dumb policy for a commuter school where most of your students live in the city where your school is located. There are a few other good colleges within driving distance of Little Rock, so a lot of students opted for those schools that didn't have a living-on-campus policy.

My favorite UALR story: In the early 2000s, both men's and women's basketball played in what was then called Alltel Arena just across the river in North Little Rock, not really close to campus at all. For years, women's hoops at UALR were not good...at all. On Thursday, Jan. 27, 2000, UALR was scheduled to host Louisiana Tech, a powerhouse women's program at the time. However, a winter storm forced the game to be postponed, and LaTech had a game elsewhere on Saturday, so the teams agreed to play at 10 a.m. on Friday. LaTech won, 95-52, with official attendance of 24.

Second-favorite UALR story: The athletic director resigned a few years ago after he commented on the physical attributed of the mother of a women's soccer player. He said what he said on a hot mic during halftime of a soccer game that was being streamed online.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bumping this up so I can find it easier in a few months.

[​IMG]

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is the game that they scheduled after both their original opponents this weekend — Louisiana Tech and Houston — canceled due to COVID-19.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  8. Bu77ers

Bu77ers Member

Bunch of healthy players having to quarantine because of "close contact"

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I mean, they did buy 150 million tests from Abbott. It's not nothing.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I find it somewhat amusing that after two weeks, everyone is jumping into the pool. And we're starting to see COVID cancelations pop up here and there. I do understand that everyone knows what the play is. It isn't that they don't think COVID-19 is a risk, but that they've grown more comfortable with the idea that the money will start flowing and feel better about their chances of "containing" the spread. As long as a team is "playing" - they'll still get a cut of the TV money even if they have to cancel a game or two due to COVID-19.

11. tapintoamerica

If this is still happening a week from now, I’ll start wondering about the season in general.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It’s a combo of this and what a spring season,
    Followed by a fall one, does to a team.

Draft saved Draft deleted