1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2020 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No doubt. Just look at the differences in equipment between now and 60 years ago.
    When Illinois and Northwestern played there, though, I thought it wasn't just that there wasn't enough room at the back of the end zone, it was that there was no room. As in, they bolted the goal posts to the brick wall in the outfield. Surely it wasn't that confined when the Bears played there?

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Go look at the old films. It was as bad or worse, but when the Bears played there the goal posts were on the goal line. FTR my first NFL game was 1956, Browns-Eagles at Connie Mack. Not much different, except with 450 to dead center, more room. Also there has been Harvard-Yale at Fenway just in 2018. Made a lot of money for schools that need none, but having both teams on the same sideline doesn't work. In my experience, no dirtier game in college than Harvard-Yale. Preps go to war.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

THE GAME

Edit: 1956 at Connie Mack? You ARE old.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I was a few months old, and I'm an old. Wow. Grats, Michael Gee. That's a "been there and done that" on a scale I could never touch.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Browns-Eagles. Year between Otto Graham and Jim Brown. Worst of Paul Brown's career. I was six. Liked the color and excitement, didn't much know what was going on. My Dad won a huge bet on the game between the Browns and Eagles when the Browns first entered the NFL and therefore was a fan for life. Before my first game, he took me to a Sylvania dealership where recently retired Otto was pitching TVs for much more than he made in football. Had an autographed kids toy football that'd be worth a bundle today. I think it didn't last until by eighth birthday.

7. Neutral Corner

The way of things kids get. My son lost Michael Jordan's golf ball. I still have Mickey Mantle's autograph. It's on a piece of stationary from the Hillsborough Hotel in Tampa. Mantle came through there during spring training and a friend of my father's got it for me. I folded the paper into about an inch and a half square and put it in my pocket to take to school, so it has a whole bunch of fold lines and little square smooth areas, lol.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

When my dad was a kid he got Jackie Robinson's autograph on a softball... and then played with that softball until the signature disappeared.

9. Neutral Corner

Don't even get me started on the baseball cards I had back in the day. Hank Aaron and Eddie Matthews, "Fence Busters". I had two shoeboxes full of late 50's, early 60's cards that I got from my older brother.

Mom threw them out when I was maybe fifteen "because you don't care about those old cards". Sigh.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I got Bobby Murcer's when he played for Toledo. Looped his "M" like Mantle did, if I remember right.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

S & C coaches are no more racist than all the other coaches in college football, no less either. The structure of coaching in college football is so racially divided to start with. The black coaches on the staffs of the real heritage programs are going to the running backs coach, defensive line coach and cornerbacks coach and they are primarily considered the ace recruiters on the staff and get labeled as recruiting guys instead of coaches. Those are the positions they get. The QB coaches, coordinator spots might as well have "whites only" stamped on them.

Take a look at last year's playoff teams.

LSU: Kevin Faulk (RB Coach), Mickey Joseph (WR Coach), Corey Raymond (CB Coach)

Clemson: Tony Elliott (RB Coach), Todd Bates (DL Coach), Lemanski Hall (DL Coach), Mike Reed (CB Coach)

Ohio State: Tony Alford (RB Coach), Larry Johnson (DL Coach), Al Washington (LB Coach)

Oklahoma: Dennis Simmons (WR Coach), Calvin Tinodeaux (DL Coach), Roy Manning (CB Coach), Jamar Cain (OLB/DL Coach), DeMarco Murray (RB Coach)

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

There was a story I read somewhere that Oklahoma State's offensive coordinator is the only minority OC or DC in the Big 12.

Draft saved Draft deleted