1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2019 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 10, 2019.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Really like the Unders. Especially Stanford and its brutal schedule.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That’s a bold play betting on Mizzou to win 9 or more. The schedule sets them up for that, but I’m more confident on the under, although I hope I’m wrong about that.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lot like one publication where I worked. Family was not the beacon it thought itself, but tried to demand 100 percent participation to get an award out of it.

Worse, they possessed the stones to post signs to the front and back doors of the building urging no solicitation. Yet, we could be badgered by editors regarding The United Way.

Um, no.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Did ESPN pursue other games before Miami/Florida as the opening weekend thing? I assume it did. It doesn't hit my top 100 list of games to watch this year. I'm curiously disinterested in it, compared to the Holy War next Thursday!

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The football game itself will be hideously boring, but you know there will be a scrum before the game. You can smell it coming.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Other than Oregon/Auburn, I can’t name a game in week 1/0 that’s inarguably better.

The Holy War may have you pumped, but BYU (like Miami) was barely a bowl team last year, and Utah’s last two games were a loss to Northwestern and a Pac-12 title loss that few fans stayed awake to finish. Not to mention a primetime East Coast time slot puts the kickoff at the peak heat of a 95-degree day in Provo.

And ... Duke/Alabama, I guess? Worth watching, but a matchup against Duke football doesn't jump off the page outside of Charlottesville or Winston-Salem.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Miami/Florida is a good “matchup” that doesn’t do a lot for me. Fake hate, no real stakes, boring offenses, low-scoring game.

Seriously what happened to Miami offense?

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Only week this could be the big game is Week Zero.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Only way I'd be interested in Week 0 is if they did bath salts for halftime.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Now, don’t get me wrong, but I’d tune in for the possibility of some marching band cannibalism.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It's Florida so it's possible.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Looks like Joe Walsh is going to primary Trump. While he's a looong way from saving the Dems from Trump, he's been willing to speak out in no uncertain terms against Trump as well as to call out Republican cowardice in the face to the MAGAts. He's not scared and he's got sharp elbows. Should be an entertaining debate - if the GOP allows one.

Draft saved Draft deleted