1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2018 Week 9 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 22, 2018.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Goin' to the window!!

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually the NFL has the idiotic overtime rules. The Shield should adopt the college system.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

On Friday night, Indiana cashed another over, this time rallying from the depths of an under.

exmediahack likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Corso made good time from Jacksonville to Tallahassee.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

They both suck.

Simple solution.

Coin toss. Team that wins the coin toss either gets the ball at their own 15. Or they elect to have the other team get the ball at their own 15. First score wins.

This keeps most of the elements of the game in place. Punting. Field position. Risk/reward strategy. If you like your defense, a stop gets you the ball near midfield. If you don’t, go 50 yards in this era where yards are cheap.

NFL overtime is a wasteland of bad strategy and far too many games doing nearly the full 10 minutes.

College overtime is set up where the deeper team almost always wins.

7. exmediahack

Yup. I’m all over this now.

playthrough likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

S -- J -- S -- U
    S-J-S-U
    SJSU San Jose State!

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, this weekend has not been my finest hour. Just had an NFL parlay go south, too, with a touchdown in the last seconds of the Chiefs-Broncos first half.
    Mississippi State-A&M would have blown up the college parlay anyway, but it's rough when you hit the first three legs and start getting excited, only to have it turn into a pumpkin.

10. exmediahack

Parlays and teasers are hookers and coke. Best avoided.

I’m having my best year picking spreads by far but so much of the profit has been eaten up by damn parlays. Money management is 2/3 of sports gambling.

playthrough likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm realizing that. I limit my parlays to $10, figuring the odds are good enough that I'll make money if I win and not be too exposed if I lose.
    Alabama in the first half has been a cash cow this season, especially when I've included them in some three-team parlays. Win some on that game, and then find two other games (sometimes even one) out of 50 in college to come out ahead for the week. At the very least, winning that bet has made the $10 I throw away on a parlay no big deal. I've done well with that strategy. Also, avoiding the coin flip nature of the NFL has helped.
    This week, with Alabama off, I didn't have that fallback and compounded the error by betting on the NFL. There were lots of games I liked a lot, but one or two key ones that I've whiffed badly on that have made it a debacle. Going 3-2 on picks isn't bad, but doing it on a parlay gets you nothing but some shredded paper.
    I'll still be up for the season regardless, but it's still a kick in the nuts.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm going to OU @ Tech Saturday night in Lubbock.
    5 hour drive. Hoping like hell its like the shootout from 2 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted