1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2018 Week 9 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Before they moved to Ponte Vedra Beach full time, my parents had a condo there. Naive Northerners, they rented it out for Florida-Georgia weekend. There were Coca-Cola stains on the ceiling. The washer, dishwasher and oddest of all, the dryer all reeked of bourbon. I was highly amused, but Mom and Dad sure weren't.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

In other words, there was some property damaged that night.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll believe any story about Monster Jam. A friend of mine who has been to a gazillion sold-out ballgames, major concerts, etc., said the worst traffic he had ever seen around an event was a Monster Jam, because the crowd had so many rural hayseeds who truly couldn't navigate around the big, bad downtown.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I had generally stopped going to Florida-Georgia at the start of the decade because it was too much. Tired of crashing six people in a hotel room. Tired of tracking down people when everyone's cell phone is dead which usually led to arguments and fights and...nothing good.

But the 2012 game was intriguing enough to go however I didn't want to do anything but game day and go back to my hotel and relax when the game was over.

So I got this room at a La Quinta Inn off Butler Rd. Took a cab for $10 to the stadium area. Watched a game in the misty rain with way too many turnovers (Georgia won 17-9), was able to take one of the shuttle buses from the stadium back to Butler Rd., walked back to my hotel, got in the car, grabbed a sub from Publix and got to my room in time to catch the final three quarters of Notre Dame-Oklahoma.

Definitely not my most exciting Cocktail Party but after recent years the peace and quiet was much appreciated.

maumann and Donny in his element like this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Publix sub made you a winner.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The gossip my Kentucky people have pointed me toward is juicy.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I have to work both weekend days again, so I'm not sad my Hokies are on Thursday night this week. Nice timing. Chef loses a toe every time the announcers say "lunch pail."

8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Can we get a hint? It is motorcycle season, what with the fall colors...

Hermes likes this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I can't really think they're going to fire Petrino before backing up the Briggs truck for Brohm.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Will they let him know in person or just via laminated letter?

Batman likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

This is when they find out Petrino has secret passageways through all the attic space of every dorm at U of L like that Gay Talese motel story, right?

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The kindest gossip involves Petrino in something analogous to Urban Meyer’s role in the recent Ohio State mess.

Draft saved Draft deleted