1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2018 Week 8 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 15, 2018.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I had to stare and ultimately guess by crowd reaction who was who.

2. tapintoamerica

In other words, he’s going to go Mike Leach on them.

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Ignoring what might have happened elsewhere (would like to see video of the two other plays you reference), that seems to be targeting. His helmet makes contact with the face mask even after leading high with the hands.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

White actually hit him with his hands when you look at the replay. Maybe there's some helmet to helmet contact, but it's incidental at worst. Here's the comparison of it and the Alabama hit that people are riled up about:

5. Donny in his element

That it’s incidental doesn’t matter. The two other angles from the broadcast show more contact.

6. Donny in his element

Just watched the Alabama one. Gotta admit, he doesn’t appear to hit his helmet. He went in upright with eyes up. I get the homer perspective, but doesn’t look clearly egregious either way.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Neal Brown would be a good one. Surprised he’s still at Troy.

expendable likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I didn't think the Alabama one was egregious either. It was more that the two hits were almost identical and one was flagged -- and upheld on review -- and the other not.
    One of the announcers in the LSU game had a good suggestion that they should implement Targeting 1 and Targeting 2 penalties, similar to the way the NBA does flagrant fouls. Incidental hits like these would warrant an ejection, but not a suspension.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The Northeastern Wildcats rallied to avoid an embarrassing loss at Rutgers Saturday ... ;)

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

No
    Don't care
    Wrong conference
    Don't care
    OK
    Dislike for hoops
    Don't care

11. tapintoamerica

It's possible the LSU guy made helmet-to-helmet contact, but that clearly wasn't the intent. His first contact is to push the guy down, which makes it unlikely that he also struck him with the helmet.
    If SEC HQ is going to get involved in an active conspiracy, its actions would involve helping LSU beat Alabama, thereby reigniting the ESPN-favored Two SEC Teams To The Playoff storyline.

Batman likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's always been evident, but watching top tier teams and then seeing lower P5 and G6 teams play provides visual proof that they aren't playing the same game as the football powers. I would guess that there is at 10-20 lbs difference among players, two-tenths of a second of speed and 30 or 40 pounds in average bench press. Multiply that by 11 a side and it's ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted