1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2018 Week 3 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They also open the season against USC, FWIW.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ohio State plays Bowling Green and Buffalo in 2020.

(Oh and also Oregon.)

It's so dumb, guys. Teams are going to play one high-level non-con game and schedule filler for the rest. Every team. Every conference.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The makeup foul after Herbie demanding his boots be licked last season?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is an AD known as "Jen"?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Colgate and Furman canceled their game today. Colgate donated its hotel rooms and meals to evacuees.
    Class move.

Colgate-Furman Football Canceled -

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Tech fans seem to think their program is in the same level as Michigan, Alabama, Texas, USC, Penn State, Oklahoma, FSU, Ohio State and a few others when it comes to national prestige.

Altering a famous movie quote... 20 years before Vick they were a bunch of hillbillies crashing their pickups trying to be Dale Sr. and 20 years after Vick they are still a bunch of hillbillies crashing their pickups trying to be Dale Sr.

It’s a good football program that doesn’t understand its place.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Please don't equate that tweet with Tech fans in general. Tech hired an incompetent boob as its lead media relations guy, and he continues to cover himself in shit in the way he conducts himself on social media. I'm far removed from my days of covering Tech, but I've heard nothing but bad things about the way Pete Moris runs that department. It's sad, really.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The way in which Whit Babcock and company kept stepping in crap and its incredibly tone-deaf attitude toward East Carolina and what it is facing in Greenville was mind-spinning.

IIRC, Jim Weaver was AD when ECU was the first home game following an ugly incident in Blacksburg. ECU brought a $100,000 check for the victims and showed a great deal of compassion.

Then Babcock and Co. completely show their butts (Cosmo, I mean those particular folks, not the school, Justin Fuente, Frank Beamer, etc.). They've been properly flogged in this corner of the world. Hopefully, lesson learned.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Whit should have kept his mouth shut. None of the inside baseball stuff about the contract, etc., needed to be aired in public this week.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Curious if they really try to exercise the "whoever backs out first pays $500,000" clause in the deal.

I understand the intent of it, but because of an impending hit from a hurricane is not a flimsy excuse. It's a real reason.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The Tech fans I've met attending games have all but nice folks. But when you have ESPN verbally fellating you every season with the same narrative -- lunch pail! Beamer Ball! (even though Beamer isn't there anymore), Bud Foster's D (which has allegedly has an on and off season meaning), Enter Sandman AND HERE COME THE HOKIES!! -- it's hard to not buy into the idea that you're someone special. Seriously, is there any other program who has done less that's benefitted from media hype like they have? They won a couple of ACC titles before Clemson became Clemson and Florida State was declining under Bowden, not much since.

It’s very much like Michigan, which hasn’t won an outright Big 10 Title in 15 years, but it’s the same bullshit narrative with Big House and Bo and whatever nonsense they’re pimping about Harbaugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted