1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2018 Week 3 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 10, 2018.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How the hell does Toledo get Miami to visit?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Miami, to its credit and for whatever reason, has made a recent habit of going on the road to play small schools. The next such game after this isn't until 2023 at Temple, but here's their recent ledger:
    2013 - at South Florida
    2015 - at Florida Atlantic
    2016 - at Appalachian State
    2017 - at Arkansas State (canceled because of hurricane)
    2018 - at Toledo

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I hope so. That's a line I want to jump on like Kate Upton.

Chef2 likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

IIRC those schools are going out of their way to make the payouts pretty good too. I thought that was a theme of App State last year -- it was cool of Miami to agree to the visit, but also App State really stepped up financially to make it possible.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Pretty good strategy. Decent payday and you can claim you played a true road game. Certainly more than SEC teams do.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's the case with Miami-Toledo, but those arrangements are typically 2-for-1s.

South Alabama hosted Oklahoma State last year, but has to play in Stillwater twice.

Southern Miss has hosted Nebraska, but had to go to Lincoln twice.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's worth it for the smaller schools. They get to play a P5 school, good for strength of schedule and triply so if they win, they get paid to be a body bag game, and they get to sell tickets for the P5 team at home.

OTOH, it is generally good policy to get the home game in the middle, because I have seen these deals blow up when the P5 team decides to pay a buyout instead of playing on the road.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

So then explain Colorado State @ Florida for the second year in a row.
    There's nothing under God's blue sky getting Florida to Fort Fun.
    And don't say money.
    Plenty of cash in The Fort.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Mississippi State has a long history of doing that. Something like 13 of the past 15 years they've gone on the road to play a non-Power 5 school. It's usually a regional opponent like Louisiana Tech, South Alabama, Troy or Memphis, so they look at it like a recruiting tool and a game where they can bring a lot of fans with them.
    Next year they're playing Louisiana-Lafayette in New Orleans and they're at Memphis in 2021. Looks like they're getting away from it for a while to play some Power 5 schools.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's not exactly the same thing, but BC played both UMass and their old traditional rival Holy Cross this year. Killed 'em both, but I think early season regional non-com games are OK. Of course, when I was in high school, MY team was a neighborhood rival opener for a much better program. The year we beat them (I was a junior, nothing better than being an outside linebacker on a goal line stand in the '60s. no way they're coming my way, just barrel into the pile) was super cool. My senior year was their revenge. Not so cool.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Wondering how Amurricca's coach/neurosurgeon, Dr. Larry Fedora, and his Tar Heels are going to do against UCF this week.
    I fear for the future of our country's military if Dr. Fedora's troops continue to struggle. In order to prevent a takeover by Trump's pals in Russia in 2023, we must change the rules to require kickoffs from the 20-yard line, forbid fair catches and penalize kicks out of bounds with stronger deterrents.

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

He's probably going to get a reprieve because of Florence. Whole campus is shut down.

Draft saved Draft deleted