1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2018 Week 13 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 19, 2018.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is true, but I'm not sure you can blame it all on the injury.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what it means, if anything, but I went back and looked through all of this season's scores to see how many "shootout" games each Power 5 conference had. For these purposes, I defined it as any game where both teams scored more than 30 points regardless of the margin of victory. I also included it on both conferences' totals if it was a cross-conference matchup like the Clemson-South Carolina game last night.

Here are the totals:
    Big 12 - 17
    Big Ten - 17
    ACC - 16
    Pac-12 - 13
    SEC - 11

There's not a ton of variance, but I think there is enough to show that they play a little more defense in the SEC than in the Big 12 as a general rule.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Variance? Variance??? dq would like a word with you!

oh

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Now do super-shootouts (both teams above 40 points, in regulation).

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good call. That might be a better metric, because the difference between the conferences is insane.

Big 12 - 9
    ACC - 3 (two of them involved Syracuse)
    Pac-12 - 2 (both this past weekend)
    SEC - 2 (both involving Ole Miss)
    Big Ten - 1 (the Ohio State-Maryland game that went to overtime, but was tied 45-45 at the end of regulation)

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The totals don’t explain the issue. The Big 12 total of 17, on a % basis, is far greater than the SEC’s total of 11 because of the number of teams in the two conferences.

Batman likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So UCF has an actual chance at the playoff provided they win and Georgia loses (likely), and Oklahoma and Ohio State both lose.

8. tapintoamerica

Not without Milton.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I would like to see that happen, but am not optimistic.

10. tapintoamerica

Want to see what the committee does with/to UCF with Milton out.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If Milton were healthy UCF would have no chance. It's a rigged deck. I'll vote for whichever President vows to destroy college sports. No scholarships (jock scholarships sure sound like affirmative action to me). No coach allowed to make more than the median faculty salary. All alumni donations go directly to the general fund. Otherwise, your school gets no federal funds.

Vombatus and heyabbott like this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

By my understanding of what the Committee's protocol's are, they only judge a team losing a player to injury if say they were without a QB for a game and that was the one game they lost, but are otherwise clearly worthy. I don't think they "speculate" how a team would fare. Now if UCF sucks in the CUSA final? Sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted