1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2018 Week 10 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm on the phone with Heupel pronto.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think Alabama fans would enjoy playing UCF in the playoffs on a number of levels. Not only do they get to shut up the "2017 national champions," they get to beat a team that really made its name by embarrassing Auburn. Win-win all the way around.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Why would he take that minefield of a job? Hang around UCF a couple of more years, win 18-20 more games and get his pick of several top gigs.
    The one thing that I really found shocking was speculation of Dave Doeren from NC State to Kansas. Would geography/personal ties really be enough to pry a coach from a Power 5 gig in which he is winning to Kansas? I'm out of the racket and have been for years, but that would shock me.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That's a new one. While I understand the pull of home - came back twice after moving away - why exactly would Dave Doreen leave Raleigh now? Not because of delusion that he would never leave for any gig ... but in Doeren's case, he didn't listen to anyone in Knoxville when Tennessee could easily have doubled his salary and given him a chance at a legitimate SEC program last offseason. Little doubt he gained more leverage and made sure NCSU made it worth his while to stay, but again ... even less doubt that the folks in Knoxville could outbid NCSU.

Factoring this in, what would make him pull up tent stakes for the mess in Lawrence?

5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Maybe he’s tired of coaching at a basketball school?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Since when was Kansas a football school?

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

The_Simpsons_Rainier_Wolfcastle_Thats_the_Joke.png

Batman likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If I were to bet, I'd go with Tim Beck at Pittsburg State. D1 assistants and HCs will figure it's a three and out deal, throw in the state of the Big 12, the status of football in Lawrence - you're better being a high priced coordinator. It's not a good enough job to lure a top G6 coach.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If I was Kansas I'd go Bob Stitt. His shit works in the Big 12 and if he's good enough for Oklahoma State to tap him for info, he can handle that level of college football

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Doeren won’t leave N.C. State now, unless there’s some specific reason he needs to move back to the KC area I’m not aware of. He would have walked over hot coals for the KU job at one point. Zenger hired Charlie Weis instead.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Stitt is one of the people I'd love to see get a gig.
    Dave Aranda should be a head coach is my other firmly held coaching carousel belief (though I'd like to think he can do better than Kansas).
    Lance Liepold (Buffalo via UW-Whitewater) would also be on my short list.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You'd have AJ McCarron as QB, so probably not. Everything else looks covered:

NFL Players by College - A - National Football League - ESPN

Draft saved Draft deleted