1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2017 Week 3 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 11, 2017.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've said it for 15 years on this board: Plaschke sucks.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That's beautiful.

3. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Last year's LSU-Wisconsin game at Lambeau Field in Green Bay was a pretty epic meeting of hard-drinking fanbases. Note that South Louisiana is one of the few spots in the South that veers into more-bars-than-grocery-stores territory, though not nearly as impressive as Wisconsin on that front. (And agreed, that is one awesome graphic, Steak.)

Of course, then the game began and that's when all the fun stopped, at least for this LSU fan. But pregame, that was enjoyable. And Chicago (where I live) was fun in the preceding days with lots of LSU fans in town to get the most possible out of a rare Northern swing.

Interestingly LSU also played BYU this season, and Provo was briefly discussed as a potential site when it was clear that it had to be moved from Houston. It was ultimately played in New Orleans, which meant Mormons on Bourbon Street. (Not sure how that went.) When the game was still scheduled for Houston, LSU fans were recommending their brethren score seats in the BYU section, for the shorter beer lines.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I was flying out of Midway the day after that game. I was in line to get a coffee and breakfast sandwich, surrounded by groggy, hissing LSU fans. The things they said about Les Miles between themselves should never be repeated in polite company.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

It's LSU.
    96% of that fanbase can't spell polite.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Louisiana is still the only place I've been where you can buy liquor in the grocery store.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

To be fair, there's reason for confusion.
    Politte is a common last name in Louisiana.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He probably dropped a resume on Alvarez's desk as he walked by.

Chef2 likes this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Killjoy.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

You can buy liquor in a grocery store in Michigan.

lcjjdnh likes this.
  12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

It continues to be overlooked and I noted it almost immediately at the game. It ranks with: Why was a walk-on receiver in the game when Bush tried his lateral? Why was Bush not in the game at the end? Why was the backup fullback in the game on the final series?
    On USC's final series, the second-down play was just as important to the outcome as the fourth-down play. The Trojans had the second-string fullback in the game and Leinart threw him a swing pass that, of course, he didn't catch. Clock stops. If he had caught it, even for a loss of yardage, the clock would have kept running. If they ran the ball, regardless of yards gained or lost, the clock would have kept running. Surely, more than 17 seconds would have elapsed before the third-down play. And Texas scored the winning touchdown with 17 seconds to go.
    In the over-analysis of that game, the Trojans were done in my their remarkable success. It didn't matter if they had the wrong players in the game, didn't matter if they called the wrong play, didn't matter if they botched something else. Eventually, they had the best players and the best team and they were good enough to overcome their mistakes ... until the final series against Texas.

Draft saved Draft deleted