1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2017 Week 12 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 13, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It’s Washington State if they win, or else Stanford. Washington is out.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Thank you.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was a controversial approach when presented here, but I always considered NFL Draft consensus as a factor in my Heisman vote to prevent my voting for “system” guys. I voted McFadden over Tebow. Pretty comfortable with that.

4. Michael_ Gee

In evaluating players, your standard is indeed helpful. Pretty sure it goes against spirit of voting rules, though. Then again, if I'd ever had a Heisman vote, would've only voted for interior linemen on principle.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I felt like it helped me determine who the most outstanding college player was. I recognize that the most outstanding college player might have a skill set that would not necessarily translate to the NFL, so it was just a data point, not necessarily determinative.

6. Michael_ Gee

That's totally fair.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Agreed it's a datapoint, but NFL Draft is driven by the rarity of players at certain positions (QB especially) and team needs. If I were using that as a datapoint, I'd also be taking it with a large grain of salt.

8. LongTimeListener

I don't see a surefire NFL player anywhere on this year's Heisman list. Not sure if there are any skill-position players anywhere who fit that bill other than a couple of the huge receivers.

9. Michael_ Gee

The Penn State kid will be an NFL player. He's got the James White skill set and he's faster.

10. LongTimeListener

Yeah. I should have mentioned him. Not sure about stardom though. Reggie Bush was way better than that in college.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I think that's fair. Sometimes system guys have a year that makes them the outstanding player in college football, NFL success be hanged. Andre Ware threw for 4,700 yards and 44 TD's and set 26 NCAA records in '89, for instance.

12. Michael_ Gee

I doubt star, but solid pro, I see that. Bush didn't tear up the league, but he cashed a lot of game checks.

Draft saved Draft deleted