1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2016 Week 6 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No it doesn't.

They manage HS games without any of them.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I watched it for about 3 minutes in the second quarter, then found the WKY-LATech game. Needless to say, I saw nothing of Memphis after that.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes Alma, because there's no difference between managing 5,000 people and 120,000.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just deputize a few social workers ... easy peasy

dixiehack likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since one of the first things to go in a storm are traffic lights, they'd need even more cops for the game than usual.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, I think people would generally handle themselves OK without the usual number of cops there.

Your answer also presumes LSU/Florida had to play in a giant stadium in front of 70,000 fans, which it didn't.

If playing the game was the A No. 1 priority - which is not and perhaps has not ever been in the history of college football - the game would have been played. There are dozens of college football stadiums all over the south. Go play in Alabama. Who the fuck cares where the game is played? Play it.

What it would have been is inconvenient to the point of annoying.

After the hurricane, thousands of everyday Americans with 40-hour-a-week jobs will pitch in to clean up and in some cases rebuild communities.

Two football teams couldn't find a 15,000-seat stadium somewhere to play a football game because the bureaucracy/logistics of college athletics is lame. But not because it couldn't have been done. And I'm certain some off-duty cops would have begrudgingly taken the special duty pay to watch a college football game.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

It's going to be interesting to see the scene in Columbia on Sunday. Even though the storm will have likely passed, expectations are that there will still be a lot of people seeking shelter there, making that small city even more jam packed. Very glad I don't have to cover that game anymore.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yes, they did. These games aren't about competition. These games are about making money.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Where? Bumfuck, North Dakota? You're high if you don't think law enforcement is involved in managing high school games.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Game, Set, Match.
    You think ESPN is going to scramble together a crew to go cover this game being played at East Mississippi JC?......Not hardly.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted