1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2016 Week 6 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

By Monday, storm's long gone.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Georgia-South Carolina moved to Sunday.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean they'll have power by then.

4. Michael_ Gee

Can't they play in the daytime? In 1981, a main utility line blew in Kenmore Square and the power went out for Fenway for a day game. They managed OK, with the umps just yelling real loud like back in the dead ball era. The only complaint came from then Sox announcer Jon Miller, who memorably said in the absence of stats. "Next up, Dwight Evans, he' hitting, oh, I don't know, around .280"
    PS: When Hurricane Bob hit here in 1989, there was no power on BC campus but they played Miami anywwy. Noon start. Miami 36-BC 3. After the game, BC coach Jack Bicknell said, "We'd have won if they hadn't brought their mascot with them."

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The bigger concern is that a major college football game requires a small army of state troopers and local police, many of whom figure to be busy elsewhere on Saturday.

6. Michael_ Gee

I have a hard time believing those state cops I see at SEC games around the coach are trusted with any other duties.

7. dixiehack

That's the tip of the spear. There is police working security inside the stadium (uniformed and plainclothes), traffic control, security on campus and adjoining neighborhoods (many of which have places rumored to sell strong drink), etc. Accomodating 80-120k people (lots of folks who will never have tickets show up for the party) in mostly smaller cities that were never originally designed for that much of an influx is no joke.

8. dixiehack

Memphis is mighty fortunate not to be down about four touchdowns.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

fun little shootout in Ruston.
    55-45 Cajuns, still 5 and change left.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

edit: blocked punt, scoop, score.....
    now 55-52
    55-52 final

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  11. dixiehack

Makes me wish I got that channel. Memphis should hold on for the win in what turned into a semi-interesting game after being deathly dull for 2 1/2 quarters.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I can't believe UW only got 8.5 to open. Maybe it's the 12-year win streak for Oregon, but this has all the makings of a blowout. The Ducks are a hot mess and now have a QB controversy on top of everything else. I'm not a betting man (nor am I giving any betting advice), but if I were, I'd be putting some serious money on UW.
    As for the Cougs, I wasn't surprised to see Stanford listed as the favorite, but to that extent? Again, seems like easy money to me. Stanford got throttled last week, plus the Cougs showed last year the blueprint for beating them: contain Christian. Last year Stanford used Hogan to beat the Cougs, but they don't have that option this year. Plus their top WR is out and (most likely) their top two cornerbacks. Get the Air Raid going early and it could easily be a repeat of last Friday.

Draft saved Draft deleted