1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2016 Week 4 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

run run away

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Georgia Tech's offense is the very definition of diminishing returns. It's become a convienent crutch to explain poor recruiting and it can't win consistently in a league where several programs have started getting themselves together again.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hey Paul Johnson: You run an outdated offense in a pro town, your brand-new AD is in the house, and you're getting boat-raced on national TV. Have a nice day!

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I wonder if the rise of the spread option has limited how effective the triple option can be. Used to be, teams would never see an option-heavy offense and Georgia Tech could be effective running it because of the lack of prep time in-season. Defending it is all about discipline and maintaining your assignments. Now, with so many teams running some form of option, they see a variation of it almost every week and defenses at least get lessons in the principles of it more often.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think a big difference is the offensive line. Look at the O-linemen for the service academies ... not as big, more mobile and of course, lots of cut blocks.

At other programs, your prototype offensive lineman is 6-foot-5, 300 pounds or more and drilled in pass protection more than firing out.

Of course, it helps to have QBs with the smarts and skills of Keenan Reynolds ... and those guys don't come along very often.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When I played high school ball in the 1960s, every team in my conference state of Delaware ran the same offense, the Delaware Wing-T, natch. Then we'd play a school from Pennsylvania and Maryland that didn't, and boy would they kill us.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I know several loyal Tech fans that would suffer through a season's worth of games like last night if it meant the new AD would show Paul Johnson the door. As others have said, I think the secret is out on the triple option, and Johnson's creativity with it only extends so far. Calling for a running back pass on first down deep in your territory that went for an easy interception? Smacks of desperation.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if it had been caught all we'd have heard about was how "Genius!" it was and how Tech's offense set it up.

TyWebb likes this.
  9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

He always has a place to land back at Georgia Southern. They revere the triple option, old school buses, gnats and stagnant water, and get upset when anyone wants to introduce a pro set, Grayhounds, pesticides and a Life Straw.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Coaches should always run the genius plays and never run the ones that get stuffed.

I don't know why you think that's so hard to do.

TyWebb, amraeder, dixiehack and 2 others like this.
  11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Wisc/MSU line is MSU -4.5? That seems low....

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Stands look 20 percent full at kickoff for SMU in its biggest rivalry game. Good luck with that Big 12 application fellows.

Draft saved Draft deleted