1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2016 Week 4 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Georgia / MS is pretty good as noon match ups go. It seems like ESPN
    has been trying to spiff up their Saturday noon offering this year.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I was curious about this too, but the only thing I could find is that each B1G team is required to play two of its games on BTN, at least one of which is a conference game, neither of which would probably be an issue for MSU or Wisconsin.

I assume it kind of works on a choice-based system, though all I can figure is that BTN gets to 'jump the queue' a couple times a year. Also, it appears the Nebraska-Northwestern game was scheduled for primetime months ago, so those games must be off the board.

3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

For the most part I agree with you, but FOX dragged out that Ohio State-Oklahoma game last week with commercial breaks at almost every possession change and every injury timeout.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1. NFL games now take much longer than three hours, closer to 3:10. It's the extra commercials, plus instant replay.

2. The differing clock rules in college are another big time suck. The clock stopping for first downs and not re-starting as quickly on plays involving out-of-bounds, kickoffs and change-of-possession account for a lot of the difference.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tennessee-Ohio kicked off at 12:01 p.m.

At 12:30 the Vols had run three offensive plays, there was 8:30 remaining in the first quarter, and the head referee had been on camera seven times announcing infractions.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Booth reviews on what seems like every third play don't help.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

If Oakman was gone before Grobe got to Baylor, then he might not know who Oakman is. He's probably heard the name, but might not be able to ID him if he saw him.

Baylor's got 21 guys on its roster who are 6-4 or taller, and 15 of those weigh 250 or more. So yeah, as big as Oakman is, he's not going to stand out in that -- or any big-time college football program -- locker room.

Should somebody on the Baylor staff have told Oakman that he probably shouldn't go into the locker room? Probably so, but that's not Grobe's job on game day.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just going around the SEC last week, the average time was about 3:29. One game lasted 2:55, another went 4:02, and six of the 10 games in the conference were 3:30 or more.
    That's a problem.
    The sequence in the Alabama-Ole Miss game where they had, IIRC, four replays in a five-play span was ridiculous.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Cal's announcers remarked how late it was getting as fans started to leave in a 43-43 tie. He said it's their third game and third 4-hour game.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Pitt is getting 7 against UNC? I like Pitt, maybe on the moneyline and also the over, whatever that may be.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Cal throws the ball about 60 times a game, and can't stop anybody. Makes for a long night.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The four hour games just kill it for me.

I rarely watch any sports not on dvr. I turned on the USC-Stanford game at 5:00, though, and there were 12 minutes of commercials at the top of the hour, and 2 minutes of "preview". Then kick off at 5:14.

Fuck that noise. Cal has three straight four hour games? Forget it.

Draft saved Draft deleted