1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2016 Week 4 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Have you met Florida vs. Kentucky?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Both teams are banged up.

Florida QB Luke Del Rio (Jack's son) is out after a cheap shot to his knee by North Texas. Purdue transfer Austin Appleby will start vs. Tennessee.

And Tennessee is going to be without two of its best defensive players (CB Cameron Sutton, MLB Darron Kirkland) and possibly three (OLB LaTroy Lewis is questionable). OLB Jalen Reeves-Maybin is also coming off an ankle injury that caused him to miss much of the Ohio game.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

How sad is it all the way around that perennial trash fire Purdue now has two former quarterbacks starting for alleged Top 25 SEC teams?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

FSU and UF would be my locks this week.

5. Steak Snabler

Crazy. Plus two other contenders, Georgia and Alabama, are starting true freshmen. And Texas A&M is starting a guy who got beat out by a walk-on at Oklahoma.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Part of it, dixie, is so many teams run some sort of spread/no huddle/hurry up offense, it doesn't take as long for grad student transfer QBs to learn a new system.

Oregon is a great example ... basically, the Ducks are using the I-AA Big Sky conference as their farm team the past couple years.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

How many former Purdue quarterbacks are playing elsewhere this year?

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Texas A&M-Arkansas kicks off at 9 Eastern, which means it should be wrapping up around 2 a.m. on Sunday.

Come on NCAA, the NFL figured out how to keep a game around 3 hours, so you can too.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

But Greyson Lambert still can't keep a job, so the system works at least a little bit.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    TyWebb likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Alabama is favored by 43 over Kent State, which means it's time once again to break out one of college football's oddball gambling trends.

Since the start of the 2011 season, Alabama has played 12 home games against non-power conference teams in which it has been favored by at least 39 points. The Tide is 1-10-1 against the spread in those games and has lost or pushed the last 11. Its one cover was a 41-point win over Kent State when it was favored by 39.
    All-time under Nick Saban, Alabama is 4-13-1 ATS when favored by 30 or more at home against non-power teams. The last easy cover it had was in 2010 (63-7 vs. Georgia State, favored by 44).

With Alabama coming off a tough game, maybe working in some backups for depth, resting a few guys before getting into the SEC meat grinder ... that 43 points seems about right to make some money.

12. Steak Snabler

Grobe is more or less universally respected, but I'd say he's a liar in this case. Oakman's a big part of the reason Grobe is the coach at Baylor.

Draft saved Draft deleted