1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2016 Week 2 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 6, 2016.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Ferentz is in remarkably good shape for a guy his age and I could see him coaching nine more years.

Feels like Iowa is desperately trying to hang onto this cash cow amid the shifting landscape. Iowa football makes SO much money along with the BTN payout. Men's basketball is barely a dent and that's with teams that make the NCAA tournament.

Wisconsin has passed Iowa on the second-tier list of football programs in the conference. Iowa made his move out of more fear of turning into Purdue or Illinois than becoming Ohio State or Michigan.

BurnsWhenIPee and I Should Coco like this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Reacher might make an impact on the world yet.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I readily admit I do not know the ins and outs of Iowa football as well as some on this board but to this outsider, Ferentz has done a pretty darn good job considering Iowa is a small state with crappy weather in the middle of flyover country with a small number of Division-1 caliber recruits, without a major sugar daddy like Phil Knight or T Boone to buy them whatever they want, and not much real football tradition to speak of beyond a guy who won the Heisman back in the leather-helmet days.

Compared to programs out here like Washington, ASU, Arizona and Cal, which have so many more advantages in weather, local talent, etc., Iowa has overachieved mightily.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

For some reason that I have never been able to figure out, Iowa folks have always believed Hayden Fry was a great deal more successful than he actually was. So they get a little frustrated that Ferentz hasn't gotten them "back" to a place they never were.

Donny in his element and Batman like this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Guess I had believed the hype, too. Always figured he'd won a handful of Big Ten titles and was a worthy rival for Woody and Bo.
    And then I looked at his record.
    Three conference championships in 20 years, including two when his teams went 8-4? Only three 10-win seasons? He had a good run in the 80s, and then it was a whole lot of mediocrity for another decade.
    This guy has living legend status? Even at his best he was sucking hind tit to Michigan and Ohio State.
    I'd compare him to Vince Dooley, but at least Dooley wrung one national championship out of Herschel Walker and sniffed another.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In fairness, Fry has as many national championships as Schembechler.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In five years before last fall, Ferentz was 8-5, 7-6, 4-8, 8-5, 7-6 and Hawks fans were mortified that they had agreed to such a huge buyout for a coach they perceived was coasting (and who hasn't always had pristine teams off the field either.)

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

However, the Big Ten's current conference alignment for football makes the Big Ten West not much more different than the MAC West.

Iowa and Minnesota an inflated record if they add a non-competitive non-con. At least I respect Wisconsin for finally playing a good SEC program the last three years.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Before Fry was hired Iowa had gone through 17 consecutive losing seasons. And in 12 of those years they won four games or less. It was one of the worst programs in college football for a long time so the first guy to break that string was going to be a hero no matter what. Fry not only snapped that streak, he did it by winning the Big 10 and ending Michigan and Ohio State's 13-year run as the Big 10 Rose Bowl rep. He was pretty much set for life at that point.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Michigan (-35) vs UCF
    Appalachian St. (-2) vs Old Dominion
    Oregon (-25) vs Virginia

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I like all those picks, Dixie. Although, Appy has Miami coming in next week, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted