1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2016 Week 1 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 29, 2016.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm with you. Loved Dee Dowis.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

No big deal. People get up early in Hawaii for the tasty waves.
    One trip back in the '80s a few of us were into the sixth pitcher of beer by 8 a.m. watching NFL.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Strange story. Going southbound in the northbound lanes at 4:48am. Was backing up, so apparently he realized his mistake. But, being a pharmaceutical sales guy from South Carolina, I'd have to believe he'd traveled that stretch of I-85 many, many times before.

And the AJC gets scooped on this by the Colorado Springs Gazette, despite the accident occurring in the Atlanta suburbs, and the Monday am traffic reports noting the highway shutdown.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

You're assuming the AJC still has reporters to cover breaking police news, Cap'n Kirk.

"Those reporters just sit around DOING NOTHING until something happens! Trim that fat from the bone!"

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't totally understand what the beef is with the AJC here. The chance that a news-side reporter (who is in all likelihood 35 or under) would have ever heard the name Dee Dowis before today is nil.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

From what I read in the Gazette piece, it sounds like the AJC reported on the wreck but not Dowis' identity. And while it would be nice for someone on the news desk to recognize a quarterback from three decades ago who played at a college six states away, it's probably a stretch.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Well, it's a fatal crash involving someone going the wrong way on an interstate. The accident shut down a highway.

Might be worth covering in a timely manner, even in a big metro area.

EDIT: Looks like the AJC had info about the accident, just no idea who Dowis was. My bad.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Took a "college visit" to Air Force around the time Dowis was the QB. AF had those #6 jerseys in every size, from 4T to fat guy.

10. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Since 2008, every SEC team to reach the BCS title game/College Football Playoff featured an FCS foe on its schedule. In contrast, four of the ten other non-SEC teams to get that far -- Texas/2009, Notre Dame/2012, Ohio State/2014, Oklahoma/2015 -- played only FBS opponents.

By the end of this year, Alabama will have played more regular season games since 2009 against Chattanooga and Western Carolina (two apiece) than Georgia (one).

Like sitcoms that rely on precocious kids and their dufus dads, the SEC has a tried-and-true success formula:

Eight conference games + a couple timely cupcake wars mixed in + ESPN/CBS hype machine.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    MileHigh likes this.
  11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it all blows up when the championship game rolls around and the SEC is routinely exposed as overhyped and not deserving of a spot. You'd think they would be more worried since they've been left so bereft of competition that they can't compete on the national stage.

12. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Until someone else from the SEC besides Alabama wins a national title, you (and your sarcasm) can shut it.

Draft saved Draft deleted