1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2016 Week 1 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 29, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When Florida went to Miami in 2003, the Hurricanes were #3 in the nation. In 2013 UM wasn't ranked, but the win over the Gators was part of a 7-0 start that eventually had the Canes up to #7.

As for FSU, is there a team in the nation that schedules a tougher annual non-conference opponent? USC and Stanford take on Notre Dame every year, but that isn't as tough. I can't think of another matchup that's even in the same ballpark.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Florida-FSU-Miami situation is unique. No other state has three equivalent programs (yeah, Miami is down, but that can change back) in a round robin setup. I think there's confusion here between overall nonconference schedules (SEC no worse than any other conference, really) and the SEC habit of scheduling I-AA (old terminology still easiest for me) opponents late in a season. If I had my way, no I-A school would be allowed to play any 1-AA school.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well, I did say "last 10 years" and 16 minus 03 equals 13 years ... har.

I'm not saying FSU or Miami aren't good foes. The joke is that Florida hasn't left the state for 25 years. Would it hurt to do it just once? Go play 'SC or ... gasp, Oregon State!

USC has Alabama and Notre Dame this year. Nobody is topping that.

Next year USC has Texas and Notre Dame.

They have BYU 3 times in the next 7 years along with Notre Dame.

USC went back to back with Ohio State in '08 and '09 along with Notre Dame.

Virginia, Utah, Cuse, Fresno, Hawaii, Boston College, Utah State, Nebraska (twice), Arkansas (twice), Virginia Tech (in D.C.), Colorado State, Auburn (in Auburn).

Nobody schedules better than USC with the exception of Notre Dame.

4. Songbird

USC, UCLA, Stanford ...

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Clearly we should all sit for a lecture on scheduling from a burnt-out stoner that didn't even know his "favorite" team was opening against the defending champs until a couple of weeks ago.

6. Songbird

Get it right, ya dirty redneck. It's been just 9 days.

dixiehack likes this.
  7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Quoted for posterity: A person talked about how well a team scheduled and mentioned UVA prominently!

8. Songbird

Hey, 'SC beat 'em only 17-14 in '10. Cavs must've been good!

(They weren't.)

Big Circus likes this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Chef's lock of the week.
    Houston beats Oklahoma outright.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Florida's streak ends next year. The Gators open 2017 with Michigan at Jerry World.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Still unwilling to go north of the Mason-Dixon Line, eh? Chickens.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My own bad editing is to blame there, somehow erased the qualifier "which aren't in the same conference."

Draft saved Draft deleted