1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2016 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 26, 2016.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Jones has to go, right, if the "traitor" incident is true?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I would think so, but there's really no way to know if he did it. And I'm sure he won't admit it publicly.

The AD is probably on thin ice, too.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Seems like it. Or if he is found to have lied about whether the kid got punched. It certainly sounds like yes, the kid got punched and yes, Jones lied about it.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He's safe as long as the Vols earn an SEC championship appearance.

5. LongTimeListener

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

Bielema, Dantonio and Butch Jones joked about meeting for lunch at IMG Academy to watch the open practice.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not huge national news ... but the Sun Belt has decided to boot Idaho and New Mexico State out of their conference.

Idaho’s football membership in the Sun Belt will end in 2017

This isn't a huge surprise; in fact, the only reason the Sun Belt really wanted those two western patsies was to reach 12 football-playing schools, which would allow the league to play a champion$hip game. With the Big 12 decision, that reason's gone.

Idaho never really was a D-I football school on the field. The past 20 years has been about making money for the rest of the sport programs. We'll see if any of those (ahem, swimming) shut down once the Vandals take their rightful place back in the FCS Big Sky conference.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Could doom the Aggies of Cruces, tho. They'll have to take their half-built new stadium to 1-AA or whatever it's called this week.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

ESPN just posted that Illinois fired Cubit, after granting him a two-year extension. Apparently they just found out dude had a losing record.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

New AD made the move on his first day on the job. I guess he really wanted to get his own man in there. Of course, there's not a lot of people available at this point in the offseason.

Illinois fires head coach Bill Cubit

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Lane Kiffin, baby!

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Illinois hasn't gotten the timing right on firing a coach since Lou Tepper.

Draft saved Draft deleted