1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2015 Week 9 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 26, 2015.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The fact that so many people follow them just proves how irrelevant and awful they are. #ripspnited

2. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

It's been over a decade since that's been true. Or, in other words, for as long as Miles has been at LSU.

Consider that since 2003, the SEC has won 8 national titles. Florida won 2 of them, while no other East team won a title, or even played for one. The West won 6 titles across 3 schools (Alabama 3, LSU 2, Auburn 1), plus additional trips to the title game for LSU and Auburn. Someone mentioned Spurrier. The reason his good SC teams only won one divisional title (I believe) despite seemingly slapping Georgia around annually was because they kept losing to West teams, in part because of a worse cross-division draw than Georgia in those seasons. For instance, Spurrier was 0-3 vs. LSU and Miles, even when he had the higher-ranked team.

So yes, Miles has always had tougher divisional competition than Richt since he's been at LSU, though Richt has been at Georgia longer. And in fairness, they split head-to-head SEC title games, the Bulldogs winning in 2005 (Miles' first season at LSU) and LSU winning in 2011. Richt was 2-1 vs Miles during the regular season.

It's been a long, long time since Florida-Tennessee was the SEC game of the year. Peyton still had an unfused neck.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I think "over a decade" is an exaggeration, but I see your point. The last East team to win the title was Florida in 2008, so it at least starts there. And I would say the division were pretty much equal until the Mississippi schools emerged and A&M arrived. Before that, both divisions existed with three top teams (Bama, Auburn and LSU vs. Florida, UGA, Tenn or South Carolina) and three also-rans that provided the occasional upset. So for much of that time, I'd say the competition was equal.

Not that any of this matters because the West is clearly the better division now.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

They pay the athletes better over there, too.

5. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

You know who might make a strong division? Notre Dame, TCU, and Ga. Tech -- they looked pretty strong in late Dec. and early Jan.!

6. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

I bet those teams were really worn down from their big, bad conference schedule, though. You can't put much weight on those late-season results.

Draft saved Draft deleted