1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2015 Week 3 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 14, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I will say this ... the gameday experience at Texas is way the hell different from some other power conference programs I've been around. Both of my older kids are there, and mom and I went down this past weekend to see them. A couple of weeks ago I got online and bought a $17.50 parking pass that put us across the street from my son's dorm and about a quarter of a mile from the stadium entrance. You'd pay thousands for that kind of spot at my alma mater and the schools I covered as a writer. Now, granted, it was Rice (for some of the games the rest of the season, that particular lot is sold out), but still ...

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This statement is more ridiculous than your claim that people don't read preps stories to look for their kids' names. And that was completely removed from reality.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Interesting tidbit about the Georgia Tech-Notre Dame game: Tech coach Paul Johnson, reportedly, had it out for Notre Dame DC Brian VanGorder years ago after VanGorder took over at Georgia Southern (where Johnson was once OC) and scrapped the triple option, saying he wanted to bring the offense into the 21st century. This pissed Johnson off something fierce when he was coaching at Navy. From longtime Georgia Southern football employee Roger Inman:

“VanGorder had made some comments that he didn’t think too highly of the offense, and Paul called me up and said, ‘I need to talk to (athletics director) Sam (Baker) and get Georgia Southern on the schedule,'” Inman said. “I said, ‘Why do you want to play us?’ And he said, ‘Because I want to beat the hell out of Brian VanGorder.’"

Ultimately this means nothing. Just found it interesting. If you've ever encountered Paul Johnson, it wouldn't surprise you if you found out he is a guy that holds a grudge.

The AJC talked about this little side story in an article breaking down VanGorder's weird career track since being a DC at UGA: The weird career of Brian VanGorder (now at Notre Dame) | Mark Bradley blog

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Van Gorder also oversaw the tire fire defense at Auburn in Gene Chizik's last year.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That is solid work.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

#trainwreck

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd take Florida State, BYU and UConn (+20.5 against Missouri).

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Vegas Insider has the numbers up.

Tech-Arkansas is at 70. May see that by halftime.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Not too much faith in your MIZ?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not much faith in their offense. Defense has no issues (albeit no really major test) at the moment. If there's a linebacker playing any better than Kentrell Brothers, I'd like to see him. Charles Harris is Aldon Smith-good at end. And the big-time recruit Beckner Jr. is contributing right away.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted