1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2015 Week 12 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 16, 2015.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Toledo operates with a 16-point lead late in the fourth like your average girls high school basketball team.

No sense of running down the clock before chucking it up and watching it go out of bounds.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

3. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Only three days until the latest feature of the narrative, #ChickenShitSaturday.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that gets rectified by the SEC eventually going to a 9-game conference schedule, but no one has really explained to me the difference in playing those games in November or playing them in September, like when Oklahoma State played Central Arkansas, Washington played Sacramento State and Clemson played Wofford.

This "problem" was created when the SEC office began forcing everyone to play on the weekend of Thanksgiving, so no one would have a bye prior to the SEC championship game. So the choice is either to have two byes or play a cupcake at some point (and make $3-4 million for your coffers without really breaking a sweat), because you're not going to get a power 5 team to play you in late November because they're all playing conference games (unless it's a traditional rival like FSU vs. Florida or Clemson vs. South Carolina).

Everyone talks about how great it is that the Big 12 is a true round-robin — and that is great — but they also have an extra bye week because they don't have a conference championship game.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter when you play them. The difference is the Big 12, the Pac-12 and next year the Big Ten will all play nine conference games and three OOC games, which is tougher than playing eight conference games and four OOC games, given almost every team's philosophy on OOC scheduling.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

True that. Also true that not having a conference championship game has and will cost them.

Here's your road map to maximum CFB playoff chaos, including the scenario where neither the Pac-10 or the SEC get into the Final Four.

Playoff apocalypse: CFP doomsday scenarios

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

An easier fix is for the league office to schedule more conference games for this weekend. I'm surprised CBS and ESPN haven't already demanded it. And in no case should a team's last conference game be the second Saturday in November.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You don't think there's a difference in playing the bs teams early rather than late? Shouldn't the games at the end be more important? Yes one W is one W, but in the NFL isn't it better to have the division games at the end. Isn't it the same with the conference games.

9. YorksArcades

Of course it makes a difference to play them in November.

But, the narrative.

10. YorksArcades

Someone told me Oil of Olay Miss is ranked again. That didn't really happen, did it?

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Memphis one spot above Ole Miss, and it didn't drop after the loss to Houston.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

But what is that difference? To me it cuts both ways. Sure, playing a cupcake in November gives a team a break late in the season. But it also means they had to play a tougher opponent early, when they likely weren't at their best and hadn't really figure out their identity.

Let's take Bama, for instance. Yeah, they get to play Charleston Southern before the Iron Bowl. But they had to open the season against Wisconsin when they really didn't know what their QB situation would be like. To me, that balances out.

BTExpress likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted