1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2015 Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 31, 2015.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Two of the obscure games I have interest.

Vandy opened at -10 I believe and now is WKU by a point. Buffs-Hawaii was a pick em and now CU -8.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Tell that the Texas and A&M.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I have opinions, but you'd be better served to talk to a QB who got jerked around by Mike London and went on to have success elsewhere. So you should call Ross Metheny. Or Philip Sims. Or Michael Strauss.

Or you could talk to one who might not have had the same success, but still left under not-great circumstances. Can I interest you in a Mike Rocco? Or David Watford?

Either way, prepare to see Matt Johns on a list of FCS All-Americans in a couple of years.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My Miami Hurricanes get some bad news on the eve of the opener against Bethune-Cookman with RB Gus Edwards, who scored six TDs in 2014, out for the season with a foot injury.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

EMU was slated to host Sparty in 2020, but canceled out of the game this January to sign a 2-game deal with Missouri as a sacrificial road cupcake.

I really didn't understand that move at all. It would have been the biggest game in EMU history, the first guaranteed wall to wall sellout in decades (maybe ever).

Plus they were lucky as hell to ever have scheduled the game at all, MSU signed the deal back when they were a middle to lower tier B1G program bungling along under John L. Smith, and they wanted a gimmick of doing 2-1 home and home deals with the other in-state MAC programs.

Now, MSU is a top 10 juggernaut, has won 11-13 games four years running, and they don't need any scheduling gimmicks, and they're not going to sign a deal to play in front of 30,000 people in Ypsilanti when they could have a crowd of 75,000 at home.

I would have thought if I were EMU, I would have moved heaven and earth to save that game.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Nobody has done as good a job of mishandling and running off perfectly competent quarterbacks as Mike London. That's for sure.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

EMU could simply play at Sparty and say all the fans in green are rooting for EMU.

Has to be economics. I imagine EMU is on the brink of financial collapse every year as they don't have a sport that really draws.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the math doesn't make sense to me, that EMU could make more money as a sacrificial lamb on the road than playing in front of their biggest home crowd ever. Although I suppose Sparty probably demanded a huge guarantee to play in Ypsi.

If nothing else, it would save their home average attendance figure for a decade. I read somewhere EMU had an internal audit done and their home football crowds averaged something like 3,000.

CMU and WMU used to have semi-respectable programs and would draw OK against each other and EMU even used to draft some crowds of 15,000 or so once in a while off the 3-cornered "rivalry," but CMU has sagged since Brian Kelly took off and WMU has been hit and miss, but EMU has been a dungeon dweller for decades now.

9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Everett Golson named opening-week starter for Florida State.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Unless it's Steve Fairchild!

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They should have sold it to Ford Field.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

ETSU resumes football Thursday night; not sure when they have UAB on the schedule.

Draft saved Draft deleted