1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2015 Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 31, 2015.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think Texas at Notre Dame is this week's upset special. Until they prove otherwise, the Irish D isn't stopping anybody.

And if I were a betting man (not enough $$ to be one), I'd take Boise State in a heartbeat. It's going to be a long year for Chris Petersen in Seattle.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And yet somehow Ohio State - which certainly qualifies as a "school like that" - has found a way to play at Arizona, at UCLA, at NC State, at Texas, at Washington, at USC, at Miami and at Cal in this century, and opens this season at Va. Tech.

It would take Georgia or Florida until the year 2525 to play that many OOC, intersectional games.

poindexter likes this.
  3. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Coco, I HATE those Blue & Gold bastards. Still, unless Zaire is a complete buster, I don't see it happenin'. Huge amount of their defensive issues last year were due to injuries / suspensions.

Understand, though....on a personal level, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Kudos to Sparty, for taking it on the road to Kalamazoo. If you're going to play a group of 5 opponent, keep the money in state. Or, better yet, make it the biggest night in WMU football history....

5. I Should Coco

Both Western and Central hosting huge games in week 1. Long live the MAC!

The day Eastern Michigan actually hosts a top-25 team ... instead of being paid big money to be destroyed for someone's homecoming ... is when I start to question whether I'm still sane.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

at Clemson (x2), at Georgia Tech (x7), at Colorado, at Arizona State, at Oklahoma State

So maybe it won't take as long as you think.

(Edit: I admit, I may be misunderstanding what you mean by intersectional.)

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Georgia vs. Ga. Tech is a traditional rivalry and falls into a different category.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

It is still an out-of-conference game against a Big 5 opponent. And it takes up a slot on the schedule every year.

9. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

So Georgia doesn't get any credit for Ga. Tech as a non-con game, and presumably Micro doesn't think Florida should get credit for Fla. State, because they're "traditional rivalries" and thus count less? How does that make sense?

If Michigan and Ohio State were in different conferences and still played every year, as they should, do we honestly not think that would cause the Buckeyes to reduce that list of non-con heavyweights that Micro cites?

Yes, the Big 10 seems to play more "intersectional" games, though even that's overblown. But is it the South's fault that there are a lot more good football teams in more than one conference within its region? The Big 10 HAS to go to another "section" to play a major-conference non-con opponent, by definition; there are no other major conferences in the Midwest. The SEC and ACC, and much of the Big 12, simply don't.

(Full disclosure: That last graph is in part designed to stir the pot. But it's true nonetheless.)

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What say you, UVA fans?

11. I Should Coco

Part of the problem is Notre Dame isn't playing Big 10 teams anymore.

In the past, the Irish were the "quality" nonconference game for Michigan, Michigan St., Purdue (don't laugh) and other B1G teams.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I can tell you what UGA fans say:

"Hey Grayson. Just don't fumble the ball before you can hand it to Chubb."

Draft saved Draft deleted