1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2013 running discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Aug 26, 2013.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    Was it Blitz who started these threads with his picks? Always enjoyed that.

Not knowing much, some things that stand out (using the lines on ESPN, because I can't open the above link right now):
    Towson +17 at UConn. UConn can't dispatch them by more than 17?
    USU + 2.5 at Utah - I'm sitting right next to Xan on the Aggies bandwagon this season.
    North Dakota State + 12 at Kansas State. Kansas State can ask Minnesota about the dangers of playing a Dakota school, but this still seems like the line's a bit low.
    Buffalo +35 at Ohio State. Always count on Urban to run up the score. Expect OSU to cover.
    Toledo + 23.5 at Florida. Voting with my heart here and taking Toledo.
    Rice +26.5 at TAMU. Another one that seems low, unless Johnny Football spends the first half signing autographs.
    Temple + 29.5 at Notre Dame. Even Temple can pick Tommy Rees off. ND wins, but not this easily.
    NIU +3 at Iowa. How many of Iowa's RBs will get hurt by the end of this game? History suggests 3 is a good o/u on that, too. I like NIU outright here.
    Alabama - 19 at Va Tech. At this point, I can't imagine betting against Bama, ever. Unless someone took my first born hostage. Maybe then. Maybe.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think Nebraska is going to be all that great, but it wouldn't be the first time an inferior team knocked off a national championship contender in a conference title game. It's happened a couple times in the Big 12. One team goes in with nothing to lose and the other feels a ton on pressure...

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Evidently, Johnny's out to change that...

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'd be more open to that possibility if not for Pelini-era Nebraska's habit of coming up small on the big occasions. The Husker defense is an even bigger question mark than last year, and for all his impressive accumulated stats Taylor Martinez is still turnover-prone and exhibits double-agent tendencies. I don't see Nebraska getting past Michigan to reach the conference championship game, let alone Ohio State.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think Versatile and dooley_womack have done the weekly College FB threads in recent years. It was appreciated, gents.

Not a gambler, but if I was, might have to bet against my alma mater in the above game. Hawkeyes could be the worst team in the Big 10 this year ... they don't play Illinois, so we may have two 0-8 teams in conference play.

Another interesting game this week: Washington St. at Auburn. A couple of lower-division teams from (arguably) the top two conferences in the country face off in Alabama. Supposedly the Cougs are much improved on defense and have found some sort of running game. We'll see.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't be fooled by Buffalo +35 ... 35-0 late becomes 35-7 very easily during garbage time. Or 41-3 becomes 41-10 on the last drive of the game.

Buffalo. Gah. Brings me right back to Toledo. It was the very good '05 team with Gradkowski at QB that got busted -- or at least accused of shaving points. I had won the first 5 games of a 6-teamer that day and Buffalo at Toledo was going to be a wrap on that winning ticket, and $2,000 (6 teams at 40-1).

It was a winless Buffalo team that sucked. Line was 30.5, I believe -- 38-15 was the final.

Something was so very wrong about that game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4146980

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Ouch. That hurts.

I only ever put real money on a game once (won some cash on the steelers/seahawks super bowl). I don't think I'm good enough at it to actually put my money where my mouth is, but I DO like trying to get my imaginary bets right.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Betting college games where the line is so big that it can be affected by decisions and plays that don't affect the outcome of the game itself is just foolish. Loosely speaking, I'd put the cap at 17 or maybe 20 1/2 points. Anything more than that and you're just begging for some point-shaver to steal your money.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That game should have been 59-6.

Many stories like that (hi, Ryan Sonner! He always says to bet single games).

Two years ago I get the first 5 games right and the last game is Cal at Stanford -- Luck's senior season. Cal wasn't very good, and Stanford was national contender good, until they got stomped at Oregon (53-30) the week before. The line for this game was 28. A year earlier Stanford stomped Cal 48-14 so I thought Stanford would stomp the Bears, you know, 49-14, 56-17 or something like that.

Turns out Cal plays its game of the season and loses just 31-28. Crushed me.

LTL: I consider that often, actually. But that Buffalo game was a no-brainer.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I wouldn't expect Texas A&M to bench Manziel unless/until the NCAA or SEC forces them to. I don't buy this "Well, we'll sit him for two meaningless games and expect you to go easy on us." That's like coping a plea bargain with the DA.

If you got evidence against me, c'mon and hit me with your best shot or STFU. But don't expect me to penalize myself in order to pacify you.

All that said, I do expect the NCAA to order a one-game suspension sometime in September.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Like Sept. 14? ;D

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I wouldn't expect them to take who the team is playing into account. It'll happen when the NCAA believes it has enough evidence to make a suspension stick. I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of a backroom deal. "OK, you got us, we'll take a one-game suspension and get on with life." I'm just saying I don't expect the school or coaches to hold him out before anything official is announced.

Draft saved Draft deleted