1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2013 running discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Aug 26, 2013.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

No way in hell does Nebraska beat Ohio State, neutral site or otherwise. November will expose that team for the slightly above-average bunch that it is.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My Heisman frontrunners (meaning I'd take these guys against the field): Tahj Boyd, Kevin Hogan, Marcus Mariota, Braxton Miller.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

What about Jadeveon Clowney?

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

IF Ohio State goes undefeated (doubtful, even through my fanboi colored lenses), they would have won 25 straight. No matter how you judge the B1G, that would be a pretty big accomplishment to look past.

Having said that, their defense was gashed WAY too many times last season. Unless I see massive improvement, I'm just not buying the high ranking, let alone planning on seeing them in the NC game.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Has a D-lineman ever won it? That's what the Outland Trophy is for.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think Notre Dame may have a serious drop-off. They had a dream season last year, lost several key people (and their girlfriends) and always play a brutal schedule. It wouldn't take much for 12-0 to become 7-5 or 8-4.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So if someone wins the Johnny Unitas or Davey O'Brien awards he shouldn't be eligible for the Heisman?

8. Tarheel316

I don't think so. But I think Clowney has to be in the conversation, especially if South Carolina stays ranked in the top 10.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He absolutely should be in the conversation, as should the guy who won it last year. My four are just the ones I think are most likely to win.

10. Tarheel316

OK. Got it.

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The Heisman and NFL MVP awards are the worst awards in sports. I can buy the bias against pitchers in baseball MVP votes because the one day out of five vs. everyday thing. But the way MVPs and Heismans are simply a best skill position award is just silly.

There are three NFL MVPs who weren't QBs or RBs (Alan Page, Mark Mosley and LT) and you have the big Charles Woodson exception with the Heisman.

These awards are just flat silly. Nice if you are a QB or RB, but when you are a Gino Torretta and you are the fourth or fifth best player on your own offense and you win the Heisman, it's a little absurd.

Having said that, the recent rise of the pass-run (as opposed to the old-school run-pass) QB makes some of these recent QB winners no-brainers. How do you argue against a QB who is a 3,000-yard passer and leads the SEC in rushing like Manziel?

Here's a question: Who had a better Heisman season, Manziel or Cam Newton?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Cam made more money.

Advantage: Newton.

Draft saved Draft deleted