1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 10/21

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 21, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Maryland 20, N.C. State 0, early third quarter.
    Now, Coach Amato, what about those critics you claim don't exist?? ;)

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The only safe coach in North Carolina right now is Jim Grobe. Bunting and Amato will both probably be gone at the end of the season.

4. Am I the only one not bowing at the altar of Troy Smith? I think he's a great player, but how much better is he than say, Pat White? This may be one of the most unexciting Heisman "races" in years, not counting the Eric Crouch snoozefest.
    I can't think of one 'Wow' play that Smith had all year (well, OK, one, that one he had last week where he did a 360 and threw a TD pass), but I can't say I'm overwhelmed.
    It's sad Peterson got hurt. It was his all the way IMHO.
    Of course, my WVU bias hopes both White and Steve-O make it to NYC.

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I hope Nebraska gets pummelled. 16-7 last I checked.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But outside of Adrian Peterson, what Heisman contenders have had those "wow" plays? Not that he's going to win, but I'm curious to see Calvin Johnson play tonight at Clemson. I haven't seen him play since the Notre Dame game.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I have to say I think the need for "wow" plays by a Heisman candidate is overrated. There are those that make your jaws drop every once in a while, see Bush and Young last year, but those talents only come around every once in a while. I don't remember many "wow" plays by Leinart, just a mastery of the USC offense in 2004.

Troy Smith is doing exactly the same thing as Leinart was two seasons ago, orchestrating a great offense with his arm and making plays with his feet. That Peterson is hurt is disappointing, but I would have to put Smith ahead of White at this point. White has more long touchdown runs, but Smith appears to be a better player to me.

As we speak, Smith has 21 passing touchdowns, two interceptions, 68% completion percentage for over 1,500 yards. That's pretty impressive.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

At the other end of the spectrum the John L. Smith deathwatch is at red. 38-17 Northwestern late in the third with the Wildcats at the Spartans 11.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Brandon Jackson scores from 49 yards out, and suddenly the Huskers are down only 16-14 moments in the fourth. Nebraska's trying to gain some respect for the Big 12 North away from the South.

EDIT -- After a stiupid late hit wipes out what would have been a second and 20, the Huskers go double reverse, then halfback pass for a touchdown and now lead 20-19 late. Quite a turnaround in Lincoln.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Nice HB option pass...this is a very good game...

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

And true.

Cards 28, Orange 13.

Spread? 17.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Oh shit, and Nebraska starts to choke.

Draft saved Draft deleted