1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football -- 10/12-14

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

I'm sitting here picturing this......and laughing my ass off.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Lamar Thomas still has a job!

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/colleges/university_of_miami/15773417.htm

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not as bad as the State University of New York at Buffalo.

38-31 Redskins - er, Red Hawks - on Sunday.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

"whether to fire him or dote out other punishment".........

not a ringing endorsement.

no way should he have his job.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

george teague is going to run up from behind in the next game and take the mic away from him

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"dote"? What, are they going to spoil him or something?

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Thank god I missed this to attend the homecoming game at the alma mater. I was hanging out in the pressbox and we got the update. You could hear the fans look at each other and getting pissed off when we announced the final score.

That was fucking disgraceful and embarassing. That is hands-down the worst lost under Ferentz. USC doesn't count, neither does Arizona St. a few years back. Losing Douglas and Richardson to injuries, that's understandable. But having corn-fed Adam Shada getting burned (AGAIN), and letting Indiana play inspired football was the death knell. Actually, the FG before halftime, swung momentum to Indiana big time.

I said this before they played Ohio State, Iowa plays vanilla. It's a base defense, no nickels or blitzes, and on offense it depends what type of mood OC Ken O'Keefe feels like pulling out of his bag. Shit, it doesn't take an agricultural engineering major from Iowa State to figure this one out: Iowa doesn't have a lot of depth in all areas and these wide recievers are not impressive. Andy Brodell...whoops! Herb Grigsby...whoops! Grigsby is a major disappointment at wideout. If the best WR is a freshman and he is likely to miss the trip to Ann Arbor, it's going to be a long afternoon.

If Damien Sims is going to fumble the football and if the wideouts are dropping the ball, no wonder why Tate is pressing and starts chucking the pigskin into turnovers. They will lose to Michigan this week, bank that. They might lose to Wisky. Those guys are getting better. Kyle Schlicter will miss a gimme FG from time to time. That's his freebie for the year. He'll be okay.

Indiana beat Iowa, plain and simple. I'm not afraid to say it as a Hawk fan. Indiana has surprised me two weeks in a row now (Illinois and Iowa). Hoeppner has gone through hell and back with his health and Indiana has been in the dumps since Bill Mallory was canned, but Indiana, if they play their cards right, will win 5-6 games either in '07 or '08 (I think 08 will be their year).

BTW, they stole that "The Rock" idea from Iowa. The Hawks used that in 2002 en route to a conference title. Nevertheless, congrats to IU for two good wins.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hoeppner's a hell of a coach. I wouldn't be surprised if they were in a bowl game this year. There have to be at least two more wins on their schedule.

And a quick check of their remaining games shows three very winnable ones: Sparty at home, the Gophers in Minneapolis and Purdue at West Lafayette. The other two are OSU and Michigan. 7-5 is a real possibility. If that happens Hoeppner's the Big 10 Coach of the Year.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Armchair, you are right. They could go bowling this year. JLS is a dead man walking, that's a potential win. If Glen Mason remains as head coach next year, Minnesota will have decided to settle for mediocrity for a lifetime. Purdue will be a toughie, since it's a rivalry.

Draft saved Draft deleted