1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 10/07

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cougargirl, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Calvin Johnson is the best receiver in the country.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Mario definitely deserves to be in the discussion, but he hasn't a shot at winning this year. Next year, he's got to be a front-runner.

And I can admit it -- Spiderman is easily the best receiver in the nation down in Atlanta, although he's had a year to develop over Manningham. Mario will be at that level next year.

Helluva difference having Chad Henne throwing you the rock vs. Reggie Ball.

(And Junkie, you take your 11-1 seasons with a loss to the Fuckeyes which would automatically knock UM back into the Citrus Bowl. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing what would be the greatest upset in the history of sports this side of Lake Placid: an 0-11 UM team upsetting the Fuckeyes.

Not saying I'd want that every year, mind you. But a poor season is made infinitely more bearable when it ends with a win over those fuckers (especially when they're an overrated No. 1, like Timm-ay's 313.) And a good season is made that much greater with a win in Week 12. I'll never not make a bigger deal out of that game than for Iowa or Wisconsin or State, regardless of the situation.)

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You lose at home to Illinois, you're the worst goddamn team in the conference. Period.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No one talked about Coastal Carolina beating Furman?

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Tech looked like hell in the.............game.

Leach is a genius for a coach, but he's a lunatic.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Robert Meachem must be included in any discussion of best receiver in the country.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Robert Meachem kindly suggests that you at least include him in the discussion.

6-foot-3, 210
    112.5 yards per game, 19.9 per catch
    6 TDs in 6 games

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Guess I could have just said ditto.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I don't know CPF's thoughts, but TigerVols sure as hell is!

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

If S. Carolina finishes last year's Independence Bowl like they started it, Pinkel is not coaching this year. If Mizzou finished this season with a losing record, Pinkel would've been finished.

Like I said, maybe he's turning a corner. But given all of the advantages Missouri has, there's no excuse for the futility the football program has shown.

Mizzou is the ONLY D-I football program in the state. It's equidistant between the two biggest cities in the state. Name me another university with that advantage. Nebraska doesn't have one metropolis the size of KC. Iowa is smaller, yet it has two D-I football programs.

I will give Pinkel this: he's starting to seal the borders. There isn't enough talent in Missouri alone to win all the time, but you'll improve when you keep the best talent close to home. Ten years ago, Tony Temple is probably wearing a Nebraska jersey. Pinkel got Rucker to go to Mizzou after his brother (a Carolina DL) went to Nebraska. Ladell Betts and Brandon Lloyd (both of the Redskins) came from Blue Springs, but went to Iowa and Illinois, respectively. Think they would've made a difference at Mizzou?

Pinkel is slowly turning Mizzou football into what it should have been all along. But this year was his last shot to do it. One more 5-7 season, and he'd have been toast.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Me to a Duke fan in the halftime concessions line

"I don't know if y'all are going to win, but you deserve to."

Him to me

"Lucky for you that you're playing us this week."

And the way Shula got booed in the second quarter, you'd have thought he kicked a puppy on the 50.

Draft saved Draft deleted