1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College financial aid - Dependency Override Petition?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Amy, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

A friend asked me for help writing the letter for her niece's financial aid dependency override petition. I have the one-pager from her college, looked at the statute and have found some sites with information so I generally know what has to be in the letter.

Anyone have practical experience with this process?

2. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

When is it due? I spent 2 decades in FA, until late life career changing to elementary ed. I still do some free lance consulting for schools. Unfortunately, I'm currently on a cruise ship, so I only have mediocre internet access. Feel free to ask away, or PM.

For the most part, just be honest and don't try to bullsh*t the aid office. Stick to exactly what they are asking you for & overcome any impulse to fluff. In addition, don't take anything they ask for personally. If it's legit....looks, barks, smells....they'll gladly approve it. They just need to have their documentation in place. The auditors & program reviewers aren't supposed to give them any grief over it, as it falls under "professional judgement".

However it's also an area of federal and state reg. that is just rife with folks trying to game the system. It's an area they have to be incredibly careful with & can open their office up to all kinds of regulatory / audit pain and suffering. Or, cost them big bucks to hire someone (like me) to come in and clean up.

3. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Let's start with:

A) What's the basis for the petition? Guessing parental non-support?

B) Private or State school?

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Layman, thanks so much for responding. I'll PM with additional details.

Draft saved Draft deleted