1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College FB coaching openings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

True, but would another school offer Mike Stoops a position considering he hasn't really proven himself as a decent coach? I mean, trust me, I understand how far down Arizona was, but still, he hasn't won more than six games (though that's looking like that could change).

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In related news, Muschamp named "coach in waiting" at Texas:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2008/11/18/muschamp_to_suc.html

Several covetous fanbases (including Auburn, Tennessee and Clemson) wept ...

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If I hired Kiffin I'd really want to know who was going to be on his staff before making an offer.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Any chance A&M fires Sherman after the disaster tha has been this year?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

SCREW THAT SITE!!

http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/2008/11/17/spurrier-to-retire/

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20081112/PSPORTS02/811120194/1002/SPORTS04?Title=Georgia_DE_Has_Interest_From_USC__CU

[​IMG]

(IJAG weeps)

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

K-State would certainly be intriguing.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Supposedly he has bombed when interviewing for head coaching jobs in the past, most recently Vanderbilt. And in an era when the coach needs to be The Face Of The Program to all the money types, that hurts a lot.

As for Lowder, Colonial Bank stock ain't what it used to be.

8. Doesn't mean it's wrong, but Spurrier came out pretty strong tonight and denied it. Wouldn't be the first time Jim Florio was wrong.

http://www.thestate.com/gogamecocks/story/594587.html

“I’ve always said I’ve got a good four to five more years in me. And we are having a pretty good recruiting class if it all comes together the way it appears to be,” he said. “So let’s give this thing four or five years and see what happens around here is the way I’m looking at it.”

Spurrier also shot down the suggestion in the report on collegefootballtalk.com that he was upset that USC officials were not receptive to making receivers coach Steve Spurrier Jr. the head coach after he leaves.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If I'm a coach and I'm choosing between and extension worth X dollars a year and a new gig worth the same amount - I take the new gig because you get a fresh "shot clock," an easy three years. Extensions just raise the expectations of the alumni higher. If Stoops stayed at Arizona and went 4-8 next year, he could easily be out the door.

As for Spurrier, didn't he learn anything from Lou Holtz? Holtz figured Skip would take over at SoCarolina, he was mistaken.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

It's not Prairie View.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Kentucky is too cold for the SEC. No place in that conference should ever get that cold.

As for the Strong comment, I agree that a big name will have a hard time pulling the trigger on him. And that's a damn shame. What more does the guy have to do?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ralph Waldo Henderson = my new favorite SportsJournalists.com poster.

[​IMG]

IJAG smiles and fans herself.

Draft saved Draft deleted