1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College FB coaching openings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The Eastern Michigan job will likely be open after this year.

Of course, who would want to coach in the shadow of U-M in a crappy conference with a crappy team in a crappy stadium?
    (There, beat you to it, Slappy).

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Not sure who Tennessee will end up with, but word is the AD and boosters are starting their priority list on a high bar.

It would be hard to fire a man with 150 wins and replace him with a relative unknown. Think about the other coaches in that league. Spending big on a coach might not seem economically sound, but it's actually safer than risking even more millions in lost revenue that would come from a bad hire.

The Saban money changed everything, and Tennessee will spend as much as anyone in any sport at any time. That athletic department has proven that, even while going for Bobby Knight before "settling" on Bruce Pearl.

Just wait until Auburn has an opening, too. I'd love to see how much Lowder would throw out there as a response to the Saban money.

As for Cutcliffe, he and Fulmer are so close that I don't know if he'd take the job, for certain. But Knoxville is his home, and his kids still go to UT (two are trainers on the football team), so that would obviously be a tough decision for him. I don't think he'll get that chance, though.

If you want to go really far out on a limb, remember that the only five years Fulmer hasn't lived in Tennessee were spent in Kansas — as an assistant at Wichita State. KSU, maybe???

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'd love to see Charlie Strong at Kansas State. Imagine a defensive wizard like him coaching against all those offensive juggernauts. Sounds like fun to me...

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

After the Prince experience K-State is going to hire someone who is, or has been, a head coach.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Just because of Kelly's track record? Or do you think he is going to UT?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if Strong would be considered to replace Spurrier?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tennessee wants a BIG NAME? OK, perhaps its fans and AD can name me one BIG NAME who doesn't already have a BETTER JOB someplace else?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It is interesting when some of the big jobs open how few of the top coaches are interested. Until Bama backed up the Brinks truck to Saban's house, I thought it was hilarious some of the mediocre coaches who wanted no part of that gig. It was the same thing at Miami.

If I'm Mike Leach and I can get a long-term deal at Tech for about $3 mil per, I wouldn't go anywhere near the Tennessee job.

9. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

That doesn't seem to be a problem with Kentucky and Joker Phillips

10. Armchair_QB

Some in the south would argue that Kentucky is a northern state.

11. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

That's assuming Arizona fires him, which I'm not sure will happen because it's looking like he'll take them to a bowl.

12. Armchair_QB

If he takes them to a bowl he may jump for another HC job.

Draft saved Draft deleted