1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College FB Bowl-o-Rama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If anyone ever asks you to summarize recent Illinois football history just show them a clip of the double fumble setting up the La Tech 70+ yard drive for the clinching touchdown.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

So I guess Manky got himself a bowl gig ...

NEW YORK (AP) At Yankee Stadium, Sam Ficken was Penn State's captain in the clutch.

Ficken used Derek Jeter's old locker, then showed No. 2 must have left behind some postseason kismet. He booted a walk-off winner deep into Monument Park, kicking the extra point in overtime that Boston College could not to give the Nittany Lions a 31-30 win in the Pinstripe Bowl on Saturday night.

Christian Hackenberg hit Kyle Carter for a 10-yard touchdown pass that set up Ficken's automatic kick that sent the Nittany Lions dancing on top of the Yankees' dugout.

''I couldn't have asked for a better ending for my career,'' Ficken said.

Captain to captain, Ficken had the honor of using the retired Jeter's locker, and some of the five-time World Series champion shortstop's clutch postseason play appeared to rub off.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

All that for an extra point? A bit melodramatic, eh?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He also hit a tying field goal (a 31-yarded, but still ...) at the end of regulation.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I thought the choked BC XP was more dramatic. Sucks for the kid. What a shank. Looked like some of my golf shots.

6. SnarkShark

Yeah, the "automatic" extra point miss is more notable.

7. Vombatus

As soon as it happened, the dread of losing because of it if the BC defense couldn't keep PSU out of the end zone kicked in ( no pun intended ). It must have been an agonizing thing for the BC kicker to watch as the OT went down the drain, and even worse afterwards. It's the kind of thing that haunts you forever. At its worst now, but I can feel for the kid thinking back over next 60 years that "Fuck, I missed the XP."

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I enjoyed watching the game on TV (picked BC straight-up in my bowl pool) and could see the elation in Ficken's postgame 80-yard run on the Yankee Stadium carpet.
    The AP story really summed it up well and I thought was a nice effort to tie into the Yankee lore.
    Great writing.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

America's most smug college football team wins bowl game in the stadium of America's most smug Major League Baseball team. Film at 11.

10. SnarkShark

Completely disagree. I thought it was forced. Derek Jeter had no impact on a kid making a 31-yarder and an extra point. Pretending his locker has some sort of magical significance over a meaningless bowl is a little much.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Ficken must have used the Derek Jeter toilet at halftime.
    Dunno why that was left out of the story, though.

12. Vombatus

Doesn't the locker room have a Derek Jeter glory hole?

Draft saved Draft deleted